Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No backwards compatibility from Pages 5.0? Really?!

Only users with Pages 5 can open my documents now? What a pain! This was not mentioned in the "What's New" section in the App store description. It seems pretty important to know!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:59 AM

20 replies

Oct 23, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Authoright US

once opened in icloud pages the documents are all incompatble to any older mac who cant run pages 5.0

that is simply ridiculous, as it was still possible to work with icloud documents yesterday and now complete production seized unless we buy new macs that can handle mavericks. gorgeous apple. thank you. we won't do that. in fact we will turn our back on apple products. we're a company with 24 employees.

Jan 30, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Authoright US

You think that is annoying.

So I have Pages 5.2.2 on 2 macs in my house, although there is a slight difference, and that difference breaks file backwords compatibility between the 2. Now I understand I'm running 10.9.5 OS X on one, and 10.10.1 on the other machine but the slight update to Pages for the other makes my life annoying. It's not like I'm running Pages 09, I would understand that it does create an issue, and they are different. But this is a slight change, and now I have to export files.

I know I can fix the issue by updating both to Yosemite but thats not something I'm ready to do until I get a full backup redone, blah, blah, lots of stuff.

This is quite annoying, I guess I'll have to start exporting everything when I'm on the other computer, but I shouldn't have to the version number difference isn't even a full version number, it's a freaking sub version number difference.

Simple question, is there a fix for this?

User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2015 5:11 PM in response to Optimuswebb

Only the bleeding' obvious one.

Don't use Pages 5.

Pages '09 runs on every version of OS X from 10.6.8 up and has 100+ features that were removed in Pages 5.

Don't think this is going to get better. Apple has been busy trashing features and making files almost impossible to pass from Mac to Mac let alone Mac to PC.

And if you don't like it, say so in the App Store. Nearly everyone in ours says they basically hate Pages 5. For obvious reasons.

Peter

Jan 31, 2015 5:41 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Wrong. I've just got a new machine with Yosemite pre-installed. Putting iWork '09 on it and attempting to open Pages, Keynote and Numbers, it says they won't run on Yosemite.

Not only do I have significant problems with later version of these, but I have machines and colleagues who use iWork '09 with whom I could no longer share files.

Just as well my drive is large enough to keep a Mavericks partition on, with of course iWork '09. But that means a restart. Perhaps I'll put a small version of Mavericks under Parallels desktop, just as I still have Windows XP to run MS Access data bases and other Windows Office applications.

What a pain. Why does Apple treat its older professional customers with such disdain for their software needs?

Jan 31, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Nickiwi

Since Peter, myself, and many others actually do have the latest (.3) versions of iWork '09 applications working just fine on Yosemite, perhaps the issue is with your installation procedure.

Before October 2013, the last versions (n.3) of iWork '09 applications were downloadable from the OS X App Store. Because the Frameworks (libraries) that they require, are self-contained within each application, these can be placed on a USB stick, and deposited into a /Applications/iWork '09 directory on Yosemite. The iWork '09 DVD applications are n.0 versions, and do not have self-contained Frameworks, as the DVD installs these in the System area of the destination Mac. The only way these applications will work correctly on Yosemite, is by a fresh iWork '09 DVD install, followed by the Apple iWork 9.3 updater to yield last (n.3) application revisions.

Which ever approach in paragraph 2 above is applicable to you; it is wise to follow this with Disk Utility and verify/repair permissions for the current (Yosemite) operating system. Wrong permissions on an iWork application can be very annoying.

With iWork '09 and current OS X App Store iWork applications (e.g. Pages v5.5.2) jointly installed, one must be doubly careful because the current iWork applications use a new document architecture that is not compatible with iWork '09 applications. Double-click on a Pages '09 document, and Pages v5.5.2 will open it by default. That is not the end of the bad news either. Pages v5.5.2 lacks 100+ features that were found in Pages '09. Workgroups sharing mixed documents will incur additional work because Pages v5.5.2 will remove or undo content it does not support from earlier Pages '09 documents. Then it auto-saves into the new document architecture. Exporting Pages v5.5.2 content to Pages '09 documents will not calm the original document author.

The amount of lost workgroup productivity in mixed iWork document environments is appalling. My workgroup is comprised of about 200 Macs that must have document interchange with other mixed Mac and PC organizations. Apple's Pages application is banned from all Macs. It is Office for Mac 2011 with latest patches, so everyone for the most part, can work in one, native (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx) format.

Feb 6, 2015 4:39 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Strange I said "wrong" when basically I agree with you. I must have been reacting to your "Pages '09 runs on every version of OS X from 10.6.8 up" which I assumed included Yosemite which had just told me Pages 09 would not run on it.

But I'm most interested to hear from VikingOSX and Peggy that they can run it - many thanks to them both for pointing out the installation procedure to follow - I had just copied the app files across from Mavericks - I shall try and get hold of an old 9.3 dmg - I hope I can find it in my archives.

Nonetheless the sharing of files in a community of users is made very difficult by the lack of real backwards compatibility.

Feb 6, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Nickiwi

Even on previous versions of OS X you needed to update the iWork '09 apps,which has been also reported endlessly on here

I don't know where you are but virtually every App Store has users reporting on the problems with Pages 5.5.2 and this has been beaten to death here for the last 16 months.

We probably have posted the same advice thousands of times.

I appreciate we agree but you have to be careful when giving untested advice here, inevitably someone who doesn't know will act on it.

Peter

No backwards compatibility from Pages 5.0? Really?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.