Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9 local Software Update Server not found

After upgrading to Server 3.0, the SUS does not work any more for the clients.

It is possible to ping the server, the CatalogURL has remained the same as in Server 2.2.

Still, when trying to update the clients with the software from the Update Service, I get the error:

" Can't load dat from the Software Update Server"

The install.log shows:

SoftwareUpdate: could not retrieve catalog: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1100 "Can't load data from the Software Update server (myserverxx.local)." UserInfo=0x7faa82f062a0 {SUCatalogFetchOverrideURLString=http://myserverxx.local:8088/index.sucatalog

did the url change (the documentation is not different) or can I check somewhere if the softwhere update server is down or really running?

OS X Server

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:45 PM

We are seeing this and we have NOT upgraded to Server 3.0. We upgraded two of our computers (Mac Pro, MBP) to Mavericks and they will no longer update from the SUS. If we reset the preferences to see Apple's servers, all is well.

I think the evidence will show something did change in Mavericks, but the question right now is : what?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 12:45 PM in response to Tom9878

We are seeing this and we have NOT upgraded to Server 3.0. We upgraded two of our computers (Mac Pro, MBP) to Mavericks and they will no longer update from the SUS. If we reset the preferences to see Apple's servers, all is well.

I think the evidence will show something did change in Mavericks, but the question right now is : what?

Oct 25, 2013 7:28 AM in response to Tom9878

We are seeing this in our environment as well. We had an apple Software update server running and providing updates to about 35 macs with varying OS X versions.

We upgraded 3 of our IT mac book pros to test Mavericks.

• First problem that surfaced, we had to update our Apple Remote Desktop.

Then we could at least remote to the server

• Then all of the Mavericks machines would fail to get updates with the error "Can't load data from the Software Update server. (servername)"
  • We upgraded our Server to Mavericks. Clients still wont update from the SUS.
  • We purchased the new "Server" for $20 on the Server and updated the configuration and turned back on the SUS role on the server. Still broken.

Come on Apple. We know you don't care about the enterprise, but this is totally a pain for those of us who manage groups of macs in the workplace. Please fix this.

Oct 25, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Tom9878

Another option, at least for the time being until Apple fixes the root cause of the issue, is to use

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL http://SW.DOMAIN.ORG:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-mountainlion-lion-snowle opard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

I have verified that this does indeed work on an OS X 10.9 Mavericks machine.

Oct 25, 2013 12:12 PM in response to webguy

I can verify Webguy's solution. It would appear the URL for the sucatalog file is modified slightly in Mavericks. Anyway, it does work. Break out your Terminal and go nuts.

UPDATE : I forgot to mention Webguy's URL has a space in it. You should remove the space in snowleopard to get it to work if you are using copy & paste.

Message was edited by: Buster Blocker

Oct 25, 2013 1:07 PM in response to Tom9878

I went to the index.sucatalog URL using safari and got a 404 error, so I did some digging around in the server directories and noted that index.sucatalog does not exist.

but catalogs.sucatalog does..

going to that URL does provide a page.

so try http://yourhost.domain:8088/catalogs.sucatalog

That gets rid of the software update client erroring out, but locally none of my machines will update from my server yet. I still have to go direct to apple. But this is why the URL itself was failing.

I'm not seeing any mavericks reference in the XML of the page output. Something is half baked in this version of server for sure.

I even manually ran the software update server update app and let that run hoping maybe it would create a mavericks update list.. To no avail..

Oct 27, 2013 12:15 AM in response to jcraft596

I did look up in my backups and the index.sucatalog did not exist in server 2.2 as well. When the local SUS did work. I have tried to change the URL to look at the sucatalog files that are available but that did not work. I can try to use the index-mountainlion-lion-snowle opard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog, which might work. But looking at the name, you can wonder how much time apple has spend on making the server work. And why I had to buy this...

In the meantime I have switched to the Caching server. Not sure yet if this works, but as I believe this only downloads the stuff that I really need.

10.9 local Software Update Server not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.