Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is com.apple.IconServicesAgent?

Hi, after installing Mavericks there's a new process 'com.apple.IconServicesAgent' in Activity Monitor using 165Mb of RAM.

Anyone has any idea what it is?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 3:32 PM

Open Macintosh HD then click Users and Your Home Folder then after *hold down Command and press together the two keys Shift and . (period key). You should see secret folders that Apple hides for a cleaner look. If you don't then try rapidly pressing the Shift key and period key while holding down Command. You should now see a folder containers. Click the folder containers. This is where the com. folders should be. That is what I know.

User uploaded file

*For some Mac Users this doesn't work. If you're one of them open Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES close Terminal and relaunch Finder now the secret folders should be visible. To hide them again type defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO. Ten relaunch finder again and the secret folders should be hidden again.

122 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2017 3:32 PM in response to alvarofromm

Open Macintosh HD then click Users and Your Home Folder then after *hold down Command and press together the two keys Shift and . (period key). You should see secret folders that Apple hides for a cleaner look. If you don't then try rapidly pressing the Shift key and period key while holding down Command. You should now see a folder containers. Click the folder containers. This is where the com. folders should be. That is what I know.

User uploaded file

*For some Mac Users this doesn't work. If you're one of them open Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES close Terminal and relaunch Finder now the secret folders should be visible. To hide them again type defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO. Ten relaunch finder again and the secret folders should be hidden again.

Apr 8, 2017 10:17 PM in response to alvarofromm

I read all the stuff on this thread, and couldn't fix. one machine uses 500Mb for each user that logs in, another about 280Mb each!

I looked at the console, and I found these as relevant to com.apple.IconServiceAgents entries (many errors regarding variantbinding.. whatever that is..):

4/8/17 9:55:27.425 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[279]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x22d] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x135] - extension: pdf, UTI: com.adobe.pdf, fileType: ????.

4/8/17 9:55:27.436 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[279]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x22f] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x32f] - extension: jpg, UTI: public.jpeg, fileType: ????.

4/8/17 9:55:27.445 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[279]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x233] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x331] - extension: tiff, UTI: public.tiff, fileType: ????.

4/8/17 9:55:32.926 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[279]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InternetAccounts.framework/Versions/A/ XPCServices/com.apple.internetaccounts.xpc/

4/8/17 9:55:32.936 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[279]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.doc k.extra.xpc/

I have no clue how to fix this... doesn't seem to relate to anyone else's error message.

Oct 26, 2013 6:48 PM in response to alvarofromm

Found this thread through a Google search, as my com.apple.iconservicesagent was also going nuts in the same way as described. I don't know exactly why it was doing so, but I did have an interesting observation.

Several hours ago, I tried to use the drag-and-drop method of creating an alias -- I was trying to make an alias of this file to the desktop:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Network Utility.app

When I tried, nothing appeared to happen. So I drag-and-dropped again. Still nothing. I figured it was a 10.9 bug and decided to move on to other things, including being away from my computer for several hours. When I returned, I found my MacBook Air fans on high rotation. I checked the Activity Monitor and found this process had 3 hours of CPU time, and was running at something like 98%. I killed it -- and the moment I did, two aliases to Network Utility appeared on my desktop!

Still not sure why it happened, but there appears to be a direct connection between the two events.

Oct 28, 2013 9:59 PM in response to alvarofromm

I discovered it's some app start on login related...

probably all of us had upgraded OS X Maverick, not a clean installed one.

Can you confirm us?

The IconServicesAgent is now using only 21.4MB of memory after I disabled some apps from "Login Itens"

- KeyRemap4MacBook

- Moon

I opened both apps now and the resources is the same 21.4MB, without changes.

##### TESTED

Yes, it works for me.

Go to Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Itens

Note and disable some apps: select with cursor and click on "-"

Reboot and look at Activity Monitor if the procedure was successful.

Open the app you disabled from startup and look if it changes the memory/cpu usage.

Oct 28, 2013 10:11 PM in response to macfanta

Nope, I did a clean install of 10.9 -- erased the whole hard drive, reinstalled everything from scratch. I have nothing particularly odd in my login items -- iTunes Helper, Messages, Twitterific and SMARTReporter.

Aside from the one time I reported earlier, I haven't seen this problem since. In case at least, I'm pretty sure it was connected to my drag-and-drop alias creation.

What is com.apple.IconServicesAgent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.