Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining iPhoto Library Question/Concern

I am in the process of merging two iPhoto libraries. I think I have done so successfully, but I am concerned because of a discrepency in file sizes.

My old iPhoto library is 28GB (1,447 files). I exported all of those files to a folder using the Current file type settings (to avoid loss of quality). All of the files are accounted for, but the folder size is 2.44 GB.

I then imported that folder into my newer iPhoto library which had roughly a thousand files in it ( I didn't take note of the iPhoto library size before this), but now the new iPhoto Library (including old library files) has close to 2,500 files and is 5.7 GB...

The file numbers add up.. but I don't want to delete my back ups until I am sure that I have everything. - I want to delete previous backups and back up the new combined library

Can anyone guess why there is such a huge difference in file size of these iPhoto Libraries?? Why is the library with less files so much larger than the one with all of the files?

Thanks!

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:14 PM

Because you're not merging libraries. All your doing is exporting from one and importing to another - just moving files around. The size of the folder of exports will depend on the export settings you choose.

What you are doing will miss

- medatata (how much depends on the export settings you use, but at least Faces)

- Versions and Edit history

- Albums and so on.

If you have Aperture 3.3 or later and iPhoto 9.3 or later you can merge libraries with Aperture.

Otherwise the only way to merge Libraries is with the paid ($20) version of iPhoto Library Manager

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 1:14 PM in response to steechee

Because you're not merging libraries. All your doing is exporting from one and importing to another - just moving files around. The size of the folder of exports will depend on the export settings you choose.

What you are doing will miss

- medatata (how much depends on the export settings you use, but at least Faces)

- Versions and Edit history

- Albums and so on.

If you have Aperture 3.3 or later and iPhoto 9.3 or later you can merge libraries with Aperture.

Otherwise the only way to merge Libraries is with the paid ($20) version of iPhoto Library Manager

Combining iPhoto Library Question/Concern

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.