Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs display as winmail.dat on one iPad and open properly on other

My husband and I get the same emails with the same PDFs. He can open them on his iPad. On my iPad Mini and iPhone 5, they come across as winmail.dat files. On our shared MacBook Air, with both email accounts, they come across as winmail.dat files. We are both using Mac mail and we both have the same service provider. I just had to have him forward me an email with a PDF so that I could open it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:35 PM

5 replies

Oct 23, 2013 4:17 PM in response to reeniebean

winmail.dat attachment originate from Microsoft Outlook or Exchange. When you read about different outgoing mail format settings it's meant for Outlook.

Some mail provider support winmail.dat files, like Gmail and Yahoo Mail, but most don't because this is a proprietary file format from Microsoft.

For the Mac I can suggest my product Letter Opener Pro, which converts winmail.dat files right inside Mail application, and Letter Opener Lite. And for iPhones and iPads Letter Opener Mobile.

PDFs display as winmail.dat on one iPad and open properly on other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.