Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hung on iCloud Keychain access on set up after install

Okay so the install seems to have been successful until iCloud Keychain access -

It's now hung - spinny wheel -

Can't click back or skip now ...

Haven't backed up properly ...not enough space to time machine

Is the install done enough for me to pull the plug and be safe ???

When I click the mouse wheel the correct widgets are there , thats making me think the OS and data is safe and ready to go ... It's just the iCloud Keychain that's screwing it - I don't use iCloud normally which is probably the problem - will setting it up on my iPad now help???

Help ..... Please someone help ... There's so much precious stuff I could loose ... I think I am about to cry if I loose it all ... It's been trying for 10 minutes ...

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP .... FAST ..

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Snow leopard , i3 , I mac nightmare

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:44 PM

I've solved the problem - so I thought I'd share as others may have it -

Essentially what seems to have caused the problem and how I solved it non destructively if others are having the same issue (off my own back and intuition)

At the point I'm talking about within the install its a setup assistant application for the new (more gimmicky not performance or core OS installation) features iCloud Keychain etc .. The core OS IS installed ..

Hot corners proved this as they were working , I could see my apps , and a software updater trying to prompt me to update CS5 as the OS is updated -

I had to use alt-cmd-escape - which on attempting to force quit the app failed it said I had to restart it also told me all application memory was being used - (considering the only things running were finder , set up assistant and the CS5 updater , I find it hard to believe it was using 12gb of RAM ) - this paused the application when I refused the restart It suggested on attempting to force quit it .. Which allowed me to use hot corners to get to the updater and update CS5, which I believe to be causing the hang - it also allowed and also switch to Finder which showed my data was intact- blagged a HD (although it proved not to be necessary) and time machined - restarted the machine probably quite bravely ... On restart cmd-r - had to re-enter the password for my wifi ... Reinstalled Mavericks OTA - went through set up assistant - set up the features - however due to the issue - I've lost my entire Keychain ... Which in the big scheme of things is NOT the end of the world -

2 hours of **** and fear I solved it... Hope this helps everyone else with the issue and I'm not the only person in the world with the issue - if you ignore the iCloud Keychain initially even if it hangs because of the software updater - I don't think you'll loose your key chain ..

Proves self logic (not the program) can work ... Although i only ended up finding this solution after violently repeated hammeing the force quit command - they say violence doesn't work with computers but if I hadn't repeatedly violently taken my frustrations out on alt-cmd -escape I wouldn't have found the solution - so maybe sometimes it does !!! Just do it to the keyboard (on a iMac ) not the screen as their a lot cheaper to replace !!!

I hope this helps

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Stevey87

I've solved the problem - so I thought I'd share as others may have it -

Essentially what seems to have caused the problem and how I solved it non destructively if others are having the same issue (off my own back and intuition)

At the point I'm talking about within the install its a setup assistant application for the new (more gimmicky not performance or core OS installation) features iCloud Keychain etc .. The core OS IS installed ..

Hot corners proved this as they were working , I could see my apps , and a software updater trying to prompt me to update CS5 as the OS is updated -

I had to use alt-cmd-escape - which on attempting to force quit the app failed it said I had to restart it also told me all application memory was being used - (considering the only things running were finder , set up assistant and the CS5 updater , I find it hard to believe it was using 12gb of RAM ) - this paused the application when I refused the restart It suggested on attempting to force quit it .. Which allowed me to use hot corners to get to the updater and update CS5, which I believe to be causing the hang - it also allowed and also switch to Finder which showed my data was intact- blagged a HD (although it proved not to be necessary) and time machined - restarted the machine probably quite bravely ... On restart cmd-r - had to re-enter the password for my wifi ... Reinstalled Mavericks OTA - went through set up assistant - set up the features - however due to the issue - I've lost my entire Keychain ... Which in the big scheme of things is NOT the end of the world -

2 hours of **** and fear I solved it... Hope this helps everyone else with the issue and I'm not the only person in the world with the issue - if you ignore the iCloud Keychain initially even if it hangs because of the software updater - I don't think you'll loose your key chain ..

Proves self logic (not the program) can work ... Although i only ended up finding this solution after violently repeated hammeing the force quit command - they say violence doesn't work with computers but if I hadn't repeatedly violently taken my frustrations out on alt-cmd -escape I wouldn't have found the solution - so maybe sometimes it does !!! Just do it to the keyboard (on a iMac ) not the screen as their a lot cheaper to replace !!!

I hope this helps

Jan 1, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Stevey87

I am stuck at exactly the same point, iCloud Keychain with the spinning wheel and no way to go back or forward. Unfortunately, Option-Command-Escape DOES NOT WORK on my MacBook Pro. I've held the Option and Command keys and drummed on the Escape key dozens of times, or held it down for minutes, nothing happens... Any other suggestions, apart from a forced restart with the on/off button?

Jan 2, 2014 7:25 AM in response to RenateAW

An update on what I did: I forced a shutdown by holding down the on/off button for a few seconds, then restarted, and everything was fine, no problems with my keychains. But when I did the necessary software updates (10.9.1), my MacBook Pro restarted and went through the setup again, and yes, it got stuck again at the iCloud Keychain. So another shutdown, and now it's back to normal. I have configured iCloud Keychain in the System Preferences, hopefully I won't get another setup round after the next OS update...

Jan 2, 2014 7:33 AM in response to RenateAW

opt-cmd-escape - then use hot corners as the force quit is probably opening and the OS installed ... just that that screen likes to get in the way, so it's not visable .... might be a possible solution worth a punt .

The good thing is that your data and OS should be fine, if my experience is anything to go by, it's purely the installer for the new "features" (gimics) that has hung ...

I personally have a had a nightmare with iCloud Keychain , I've lost loads of my passwords ... but I remember them ... it's just a pain in the backside ..

Hung on iCloud Keychain access on set up after install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.