Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the com.apple.remotedesktop.plist file now in ARD 3.7

Does anybody know where the .plist file is for ARD now after the upgrade to 3.7? It doesn't appear to be in ~/Library/Preferences anymore. Any changes I make to my list are not being saved. I want to start fresh, but can't find this plist anymore. Anybody know?

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:15 PM

Look in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Preferences

14 replies

Oct 23, 2013 5:26 PM in response to CaptMrgnX

I did look there and there isn't a file on my comp. I believe ARD somehow is recording the location of that file somewhere in the app now or something. Here is my situation:

Prior to the 3.7 update, I had the .plist file on my dropbox with a symbolic link in ~/Library/Preferences pointed to the file in my dropbox. I did this on my other machines as well so that all my machines shared the same plist so that any changes I made on one machine were reflected on the others. This method doesn't appear to work anymore with 3.7. Here's the intersting part; if I remove the file from my dropbox, then ARD acts like it has a new plist and starts fresh, HOWEVER the changes are not saved. If I quit ARD and reopen it, it acts like a new install again. It also doesn't create a new plist file in my dropbox or anywhere that I can find. I have tried just placing the plist file in the path you said and launching ARD but to no avail. Somewhere it is still looking at my dropbox for the file and I can't figure out where it's reading this from.

Hopefully that made sense.

Oct 23, 2013 7:49 PM in response to Lopezzi

So I believe the problem is fixed, however I'm not 100% sure what fixed it. Here's what I did:

I deleted the plist file on my dropbox, I rebooted my computer and booted off the recovery partition. I reset my ACLs on my account and also ran a permission repair in disk utility. After that, rebooted back off the main partition and launched ARD. The first time it just opened like normal. I quit it and reopened it. This time, it displayed the license agreement as if it has never been configured. After clicking next, it asked for the ARD password. Entered that and clicked next to a few more setup questions and everything was back. Even my list and all settings. I was then able to make changes and they stuck. I also noticed I did have an updated plist file in the new location. So not sure if it was the ACL reset or the permission repair, but things appear to be back to normal now. Haven't tried re-creating the dropbox sync yet with the new location of the plist. I'll try that next.

Oct 28, 2013 12:07 PM in response to Lopezzi

I have been trying to move my "com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist" database from an old system to a new system and found this thread that helped me find the new location, but I can't get my database to work when moved.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple. RemoteDesktop.plist

Is this not the right file to move under 3.7 ???

Thanks

Oct 28, 2013 12:23 PM in response to Brian Dodds

There appears to be more to it than just the database file now. I tried recreating my dropbox setup by symbolic linking just that plist file, but it didn't work. I was able to get it to work by linking the entire "com.apple.RemoteDesktop" folder in ~/Library/Containers/ but since there are other links in those folders (ie Documents, Desktop, etc.) it tried to upload my entire doc and desktop to dropbox. When it was set like this, it did acutally work, but I didn't want all those folders on my dropbox. I tried to just keep linking a folder at a time starting with the Preferences folder at ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/ and working my way back, but it didn't seem to matter. There must be something else it's looking at in the Documents folder or another folder somewhere in the profile that it needs.

Not sure if that helps at all, but this has been my experience with it so far.

Oct 30, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Lopezzi

I created a test computer with Mavericks on it today. I was able to export the list of my clients and import it into the new ARD. What I'm having trouble doing now is moving my existing unix templates and history.

I've tried copying the Presets, Task History, Server Tasks, and Task Manager folder into ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Preferences

I've tried taking all the plists out and copying them into that preferences folder

Anyone know what I am missing?

Jan 27, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Lopezzi

I just re-imaged my machine and came across this thread because I needed to move my ARD installation (and all my Unix presets, tasks, and carefully crafted lists, smart lists, folders etc).

I followed your directions and can confirm that it was resetting the ACLs that did the trick. I tried permissions repairs both booted from the internal drive and the recovery partition many times and that didn't do it. Finally, I booted to the recovery partition, reset the ACLs on my account, rebooted and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Jun 17, 2014 1:52 PM in response to letrast

Even under a completely fresh user on a new machine, I cannot get ARD to use my existing .plist from ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple. RemoteDesktop.plist. I can copy it, launch ARD, make a change, and watch it go from near 300k down to 6k and wipe everything out.

The only cause I can think of is that the new machine is a member of that list already?

This is WAY harder than it should be!

Jun 25, 2014 5:15 AM in response to mmaskalans

Resetting the ACLs worked for me. I copied my RemoteDesktop.app between the applications folders on my 2 macs and the remote desktop folder from ~/Library/Containers/

I also copied across the com.apple.remotedesktop.plist from /Library/Preferences for good measure then reset the ACLs using the password reset utility. It asked for the password for remote desktop when I logged back in and when I finally remembered it, all my lists were back again.

May 4, 2016 12:22 PM in response to mmaskalans

FYI...

Under the latest version of Mac OS X (El Capitan), the folder you are looking to copy is now here...

Click on the desktop

Click on the Go menu, then Go to Folder...

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Application Support/Remote Desktop/

Inside you will find all your custom plists and preferences for ARD. I simply loaded the application on my MacBook, opened it once, then quit the application and copied the folder from from management Mac and replaced the Remote Desktop folder in the location above on my laptop. When you launch ARD the next time, all your custom plists and prefs will show up.

Where is the com.apple.remotedesktop.plist file now in ARD 3.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.