Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi,i have an iphone 3gs that i cannot activate with any sim, have used 2 diff carriers before but i cannot activate any sim now from the set up pages so cant even get into my phone. Anyone know what i can do?

Hi I have an iphone 3gs and just finished a contract and wanted a new carrier, (phone has been unlocked before as has been used by 2 diff carriers). the new sim wasnt read by my iphone and i was advised to restore through itunes then put new sim in to activate but now the phone is stuck on the set up pages and says i need a sim without a pin lock. Not sure what update was on phone either . Not great on phones so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Jackie

iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 2:39 PM

13 replies

Oct 24, 2013 12:30 AM in response to jax31

Hi sorry, no good with phones, it was my brothers phone and thought he had used a different carrier to me so not been used by 2. I have been with 3 for the last 2 years but now cannot even get a 3 sim to work in it, i have upgraded and wanted my son to have this phone but not sure what to do next.

Oct 24, 2013 6:59 AM in response to jax31

It was a replacement from the apple store when the 1st wasnt working properly, they had no problems just replacing it but didnt ask what carrier i was with so i presumed it was unlocked, i have not even tried to unlock or jailbreak it as i have no idea how to or would evn attempt to. I tried a new payg sim from the same carrier i had my contract with and it still reads no sim card.

Oct 24, 2013 8:27 AM in response to jax31

jax31 wrote:

Hi thanks for that. i have found out that the original carrier was 3 and my last sim in it was with 3 but it wont accept a 3 sim card now, not even a new one. Cant use the last one i had in phone as i ported my number to a new sim for my new phone.

If it was at any point hacked to unlock it, then subsequently upgraded or restored, it may no longer be able to activate even on the original carrier. In that case, it's permanently bricked. Take it to the genius bar and see what they say.

Hi,i have an iphone 3gs that i cannot activate with any sim, have used 2 diff carriers before but i cannot activate any sim now from the set up pages so cant even get into my phone. Anyone know what i can do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.