Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 have to force quit during update of Project files

I have installed Mavericks and now have the newest iMovie. I get the following dialog box (see below) when it is on the last file during an Update. I click "OK" and then the bar continues to scroll and I get the spinning beach ball. Finally I have to force quit iMovie as it is not responding. I have tried just having it import just the most recent movies but get the same dialog box. When I try the old iMovie 9.9 it loads all the projects with no problem. I had two projects that used movies created on an iPhone 5 so I removed those two projects from the projects folder, but no change.

User uploaded file

Anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this situation?

I guess I can just work with new projects in this new version as the projects I've been trying to update are completed and saved to other media.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:19 PM

8 replies

Oct 23, 2013 5:55 PM in response to James Cude

I let the it run for over an hour. The next two times that I tried I had the Force Quit window open and the minute that iMovie reached the end project and I got the message and then clicked on OK, iMovie in the Force Quit window displayed "iMovie not responding." So Apple needs to look at thier code from the OK button that would allow it to at least finish without putting in the projects that it is having issues with.

Nov 20, 2013 2:33 PM in response to FrijolVerde

iMovie 10.0.1 has been released to address reliability issues when updating projects and events from previous versions of iMovie. Specifically, iMovie could appear to stop responding or quit unexpectedly during the update process.

If you encountered these issues, you should now be able to update your projects and events successfully. To do this, visit the link below and follow the instructions listed in the section "If updating is interrupted or takes an extended period of time."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6012

Feb 19, 2016 8:37 PM in response to Bill Haag

This issue still exists in Feb. 2016. Many of my iMovie 9.0.9 projects will not update to iMovie 10.1.1. The update process in iMovie 10.1.1 starts, updates all Events, and then starts on Projects. The status bar shows many Projects being updated, but it then stalls at some Project and never finishes. I have to Force Quit. Even when I remove the Project from the Project folder that it stalled on, when I restart the update process, it stalls on another Project.

It seems the update software does not handle certain types of Projects that ran fine in iMovie 9.0.9.

Apple really failed to serve its customers by not making sure the update works reliably.

iMovie 10 have to force quit during update of Project files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.