Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks no longer recognizing bluetooth dongle

Like many other people who found that their bluetooth mouse or trackpad "jumped around" when using their macbook closed with an external monitor, I solved the problem with an external bluetooth dongle.

The "jumping around" problem is caused by the internal bluetooth antenna in the macbook pro having poor reception when the case is closed.

I used the popular IOgear Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle. With this external USB dongle, my trackpad worked perfectly.

Under Mountain Lion, the OS recognized that a newer bluetooth device than the one built into the laptop was available, and just started using it.

Under Mavericks, the OS is back to using the internal bluetooth, and I can't figure out how to force it to use the external dongle.

HELP!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:34 PM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2013 4:44 PM in response to ebrandon_appleuser

OK. I partially answered my own question.

I downloaded the Apple Developer Hardware Tools here Hardware IO Tools for Xcode - October 2013

You may need a free Apple developers account to do this.

One of the tools is "Bluetooth Explorer"

Under the "Tools" menu is "HCI Controller Selector". This showed that the internal controller was active, and allowed me to switch to the external dongle (called "broadcom" in the menu, because even though it's IOgear it contains the Broadcom chipset).

Unfortunately, this gets reset every restart.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE EXTERNAL DONGLE THE DEFAULT?

Oct 14, 2015 3:48 AM in response to ebrandon_appleuser

I have a 2009 27" iMac. I connected the same GBU521 dongle and downloaded Apple's Bluetooth Explorer utility. However, the moment I select the new host controller I lose my connection with both my keyboard and trackpad, rendering the iMac unresponsive. The only way to regain control of the iMac at this point is to force a restart via the power button, after which the Bluetooth host controller reverts back to the default.

How do I reconnect my keyboard and trackpad after connecting to the new host controller?

Mavericks no longer recognizing bluetooth dongle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.