Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner not working on Canon MP460 after installing Mavericks

Hi, my scanner isn't working on my Canon MP460 after installing Mavericks. It prints just fine. I open System Preferences and select Printer/Scan. When I select scan -> open scanner -> the box that oppens is blank. See attached picture.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:47 PM

13 replies

May 6, 2014 8:47 PM in response to John Blanchard1

Well that is a SERIOUS downgrade embedded in Mavericks. My Macbook Pro USED to scan just fine from this MP460, now it won't at all. I'll send a msg to Apple, not that anyone will read it or care there, but I know you expert forum mavens can't do a darn thing about it and hate it when us regular folks complain here.

It's just so INFURIATING to have them TAKE AWAY a functionality from my system without giving us any warning beforehand so I can CHOOSE whether or not to DOWNGRADE to the new OS. Maybe I should just assume there will be hidden downgrades and avoid "OS upgrades" at all costs.

May 6, 2014 8:55 PM in response to frw4

Scanning software comes pre installed on all Macs. It's callled Image Capture.

Launch Image Capture located in your Applications folder.

Connect the scanner to your Mac whether Wi-Fi or USB.

Click the very small black box bottom left side of the Image Capture window.

You'll see this pop up menu: Connecting this (device) opens:

You can select a default app to scan (Image Capture) and select a folder from the Import To pop up menu on the right to save scanned files to.

If you need help with the Image Capture software, click Help from the Image Capture menu bar.

Mac Basics: Using a scanner

Jun 5, 2014 4:58 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

None of the above works.

When I launch image capture, my MP460 printer/scanner doesn't appear under "devices", nor does it show up when I click on the little black box in the far lower left. My iPhone shows up in both places when I plug it in to the same port, so that function is working. And my MP460 prints fine, so that function works fine.

But if the "upgrade" to Mavericks meant disabling the scanning function on my scanner-printer, that is definitely a major downgrade.

Any other suggestions on a possible fix for this?

Jun 5, 2014 5:02 PM in response to John Blanchard1

According to the Canon page for downloading drivers for the MP460 <http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_s eries/pixma_mp460#DriversAndSoftware>:

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

Scanning from this printer WAS supported on earlier versions of OSX. If the "upgrade" to Mavericks took away that support, that sounds like Apple's mistake to fix.

Jun 5, 2014 5:03 PM in response to johnl927

According to the Canon page for downloading drivers for the MP460 <http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_s eries/pixma_mp460#DriversAndSoftware>:

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

Image Capture doesn't work (the scanner doesn't appear under "devices" nor when clicking on the little black box in the lower left).

Apr 20, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Casajaker

This helped, but seemed overly complicated.

Canon doesn't have Mavericks drivers or software, but I got my mp460 to work simply by downloading and installing the driver and sw that they DO have listed for Mountain Lion (10.8) You might have to follow the more complex routine in the video (which amounts to carefully uninstalling the previously installed drivers and SW) if the version you already have installed is the same as the 10.8 version.

Scanner not working on Canon MP460 after installing Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.