Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local Items Keychain Password

So after I installed Mavericks, it's constantly asking me for LOCAL ITEMS password. I have no idea what that password is, that keychain is locked and I don't know what to do with it. I tried with Keychain First Aid, it says that 'Login keychain is not found' and reports that as error. I tried to remove keychains, it doesn't resolve the problem. Everytime I open safari it ofers me to restore to default but it ends with Local items password which I dont know. I also tried to Reset my default keychain but it says there is no default keychain. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 12:34 PM

you don't need to do all that, just go to the hidden library ~/library/keychains

remove the folder thats all alphanumeric

and restart machine. the end. that is all. no console commands or anything that complex.

27 replies

May 24, 2014 8:44 PM in response to acme420

IN RESPONSE TO ACME 420

Excellent! Worked on first try. If you don't know how to find the hidden library.

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.

2. In Folder dialog box, type ~/Library

3. Click Go.

Note: After you open the Library folder, you can drag the Library icon from the top of that window to the Dock, Side Bar, or toolbar. That way, it's readily accessible.

Oct 24, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Benyi90

For those having issue with keychain asking for "Local Items" every time after upgrading to Mavericks, and not being able to unlock the keychain lock (asks again for the same unknown password)

Don't even try to repair (it will not work) or Reset my Default Keychain (it will ask for the password).

Fixes:

Did not try that yet but should work. Go to ~/Library/Keychain and move all files to the trash. Reboot your mac and keychain should give you a message of error, just click to create new keychain.

What i did and worked fine. Create a new user and log in with it. Go to~/Library/Keychain and copy all content to a USB Drive or even to /Users/Shared. Log back to your old user (that is getting those annoying keychain password messages) and copy all the content you just backed up to the keychain folder. Reboot and when you get the message, choose create new keychain.

All done 🙂

Oct 24, 2013 10:47 AM in response to Benyi90

Your login.keychain password is out of sync with the new iCloud keychain and needs to be re-sync'd.

The new iCloud keychain is either called "Local items" if you don't have syncing enabled or "iCloud" if you enabled iCloud keychain sync.

1. Open 'Keychain Access' Application
  2. Select the 'login' keychain from the keychains list
  3. Click the lock at the top to lock the login keychain
  4. Click the lock again to unlock the login keychainUser uploaded file
  5. After entering your login keychain password you should be presented with a dialog:User uploaded file
  6. Clicking the reset button will re-sync your login.keychain password with the iCloud keychain password.

If everything from the above fails for whatever reason the last resort you can do the following:

1. Open terminal
  2. cd ~/Library/Keychains
  3. ls
    1. When you 'ls' here you will see a folder that contains a bunch of random number liks so:
    2. 94ED610F-DD96-4ECF-A2BC-7D2F8651A464 (this number is unique on each system)
  4. rm -rf 94ED610F-DD96-4ECF-A2BC-7D2F8651A464
  5. Reboot
  6. <when you log back in everything should be back to normal>

Local Items Keychain Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.