Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor is flickering after upgrading to Mavericks

Hi eveyone,

As many of you already did, today I've upgraded my MacBook Pro i5 2.5 GHz/8GB RAM from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Mavericks (10.9).

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing serious and unpleasant issues since I installed the upgrade.

Specifically, my monitor flickers almost every time I scroll an application window (e.g., Safari) either using an USB mouse or the trackpad.

Moreover, when I pass the mouse over the Dock, this starts vibrating from time to time.

The same happens also to the external monitor I usually connect to my laptop via the MiniDisplay to VGA cable. The external monitor is an LCD Samsung SyncMaster B1940MR.

After several reboots and given that one of the new features of Mavericks is the new management of external monitors, I've tried to re-install from scratch the OS X upgrade without connecting my laptop to the external LCD but still nothing has changed.

I'm really annoyed by having both monitors flickering. Another particular thing is that if I try to click on the Finder menu appearing on the external monitor, this makes flicker the primary monitor approximately at the same coordinates (i.e., at the Finder menu of the laptop monitor).

It seems like something is going wrong with the video card drivers but this is just my conjecture.

Are you guys experiencing the same or is there anything you might want to suggest to solve these issues?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:46 PM

Hi Gabriele

I have a macbook pro 13" mid 2012 i7 2,9HGz 8GB.

I'm having the same vibrations/flickerings on both internal and external monitor. When a come onto the dock or leave it, it flickers. When I open a screen that was in the dock eg safari, it twists open like before, but with flickerings while doing it.

Kind regards

Bart

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 11:46 PM in response to Gabriele Tolomei

Hi Gabriele

I have a macbook pro 13" mid 2012 i7 2,9HGz 8GB.

I'm having the same vibrations/flickerings on both internal and external monitor. When a come onto the dock or leave it, it flickers. When I open a screen that was in the dock eg safari, it twists open like before, but with flickerings while doing it.

Kind regards

Bart

Oct 24, 2013 12:54 AM in response to Gabriele Tolomei

Hi Gabriele,

I have exactly the same issue with iMac (no external monitor): flicker when I move the mouse over the dock, when I move the cursor over a Safari webpage, when I scroll.... I guess it must be something related to the graphics card... I also have more issues (crashes and no sound), so I hope Apple would find a fix for it quite soon.

Regards,

Mugabi.

Oct 29, 2013 4:07 AM in response to Gabriele Tolomei

Iv upgraded to maverick and not at all happy... first off my thunderbolt does not work any more....

And now the apple monitor im using with my laptop (macbook pro I7 2.2ghz / 8gb ram / AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB) via mini dvi flash's to a black screen every now and then...

Im not sure about the monitor flickers you guys are getting? Im literally getting the monitor display a black screen as if the apple screen is switching off and on again because of loss of signal?

Really anoying when trying to right code and design!

APPLE FIX THIS PLEASE! before i download adobe suite for my windows 8 partition!! and yes i just said that! >_<

Oct 30, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Gabriele Tolomei

Same here. It is obviously a general problem. Extremely irritating.

The flickering is in columns of horizontal black bars covering all or part of the screen and is continuous.

I use SwitchResX to get the correct resolution of the external monitor. I thought it may be that so I uninstalled it but no difference. I have repaired permissions, run DiskWarrior, reset the PRAM, etc. etc.

I have a Henge dock which in one go connects my MacBook pro to the external monitor and to my desktop G4 Mac, router, power supply, USB scanner, printers, etc. I use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and it makes life a lot easier when I am working at home. Looking back it appears that the same problem arose after previous upgrades of OSX so I assume that eventually Apple will get round to sorting it out. Until then I will just have to put up with the inconvenience of using the MacBook open on the desk and making any connections as needed.

Nov 3, 2013 5:40 AM in response to Gabriele Tolomei

I'm experiencing start up flickering using a Henge dock with an external monitor and bluetooth keyboard and mouse after upgrading to 10.9 last week. I find that I have to do a total restart to resolve the external monitor display flickering issue. Surprisingly if I invoke the screen saver mode it stops flickering but starts up again after I log back in if I don't do a restart. This is a very irritating issue that needs to get resolved soon.

Nov 3, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Terryap

I have found a cure to my flickering monitor problem. If I start up my MacBookPro completely before putting it in the dock - NO FLICKER!!!!

Previously I would turn it on and then insert it in the dock when the grey screen and the revolving cursor appeared. So my suggestion is do not plug into your external monitor until MacBook has fully booted up.

Nov 4, 2013 9:10 PM in response to Terryap

Yet another way to fix it (thus far)...

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Automatic graphics switching (Deselect the checkbox).

I have a MacBook Pro 15" Retina, running OS X 10.9, that is exactly 1 month old. As of today it began experiencing a flicker issue. The step above is from a 2011 post. It solved the problem after a shutdown and a 2 minute wait to start up again: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3186094

Originally, my desktop screen would flicker about every 2-4 minutes. It's been 1 full hour and no flicker after working with a range of applications. However, just in case, there were a few other steps that I noted while attempting to fix the issue...

My initial reaction was that iCloud was the cause of the issue, and I decided to sign out and then quit Adobe Creative Cloud. I don't believe either made a difference—both have been reactivated since. I also ran Disk Utility > Repair Disk Permission, since there happened to be issues with permissions that I was unaware of.

Monitor is flickering after upgrading to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.