Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone been able to use the new garage band ?

I'm struggling with almost everything. Bugs, disables features, lost almost all my settings, can't even recreate them, keep dragging tracks to another "space" when you want move something to the end (and it's doing my head in cause you can't disable it). Took me 4 hours for a 45 minute job and it's not done yet.

This new garageband is a shadow of the previous versions. Even the design of is just useless : I can't drag the cursor at the end of the song cause there's a bloody zoom slider just in front of it!!! Who's the genius who's put this feature together?!

So, I mean it, has any been able to do anything with it ? What's your opinion ?

If Apple need feedback, I'm more than happy to give some and I've got loads to say...!

Garage band '13-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:01 PM

22 replies

Oct 23, 2013 4:09 PM in response to twingocerise

I mainly use GB for Dragging and dropping instrumentals, play a little piano, and sing a song with multiple tracks of vocals...

MAIN ISSUE: What happened to the simple function of selecting a premade effect like "Live Performance" or "Male Vocal".

And then being able to see all the layers of plugins that make that effect and edit them / add more echo / the reverb slider / add new au plugins??

I have to just be missing it, there's no way they removed the ability to edit a vocal track in detail right?

Another few minor but very annoying issues are as follows 😟 :

1. Being able to set the snap count from 1/4 through 1/64 to be able to slide a track in a smaller scale to the left or right. See at the top on signature you can change it to 1/64 BUT when you turn on the the metronome it also clicks at that speed which basically sounds like the computer is about to crash...
  2. I can no longer copy a small region on a track, and paste it to a different track where the playhead is.. THIS IS SO ANNOYING, now it paste's it on the same track that it was copied even if you highlight the track you actually wanted it pasted to... and if you just highlight the area you want to move and drag it to the new track it places it all offset instead of snapping to the playhead, forcing me to have to go in, find it and slide it to where it should have pasted in the first place. (waste of time)
  3. The new UI is all over the place.
  • The zoom is Inconveniently now on the other side of the screen away from everything else (does apple know the zoom feature is used hundreds of times throughout a single session & they had plenty of room to put it exactly where it was in the past)?
  • The zoom button is also in the way of the "end song" marker, which is impossible to click and drag because it just zooms in and out now.
  • The "follow playhead" button is bugged having to press it a few times to work, sometimes it doesn't let the screen follow the playhead on the Edit track "bottom of screen".
  • When track is playing, can't scroll up or down.
  • I can't complain the whole time without saying that the new colors and other cosmetics of the UI are nice, but I hate this new version of garageband and am finding a way to get back my old 6.4.0 as soon as I post this.
  • 4. Not everyone is a "rock band" you can't just add some new drummer effect and say you have totally improved the program, in my opinion you ruined it.

I am a diehard fanboy of everything apple does and I hate the fact that the program i use most on my computer is now a burden to use, so it hurts me to be so upset and complain. But I couldn't help it. It is aweful and in now way done in excellence.

Oct 23, 2013 5:11 PM in response to twingocerise

MAIN ISSUE: What happened to the simple function of selecting a premade effect like "Live Performance" or "Male Vocal".

I completely agree. This is incredible. There is no way in the new version to edit/insert plugins/effects on a track. Also, the plugins are NOT there anymore. You can add Audio Units but all the GarageBand effects disappeared. First time I loaded a song made with the previous version I was astonished. I knew the effects were there but I had no way to see or edit them. ***!!! I had a reverb on a track but I was not able to see or edit it anymore!!!

This is a joke. Apple, this is not something in your style.

Also, how can I go back to the previous version?

EDIT: I found out that the old GB is still in the application folder (there is a new folder called GarageBand 6.0.5). Thanks God, I'm going back to it.

Oct 23, 2013 7:01 PM in response to andpetr

Yes, there are serious issues with GB 10. Sure Drummer is nice, but Apple's gone the way of in-App purchases. I think it would have been better to roll out a complete product for a price, and allow older users an upgrade option. What's ahppeneing nnow is silly.

As for functionality, GB10 is crashing constantly when I try any of these

Plugging in a guitar using Apogee Jam

Using the Input Monitor

Changing almost any parameter

and there have been many others that I've forgotten since it's been a long day...

Let's hope that Apple gets it together fast and anticipated the shift to Mavericks.

btw, anyone having Maverick's Safari issues too??? Just asking....

Oct 24, 2013 1:16 AM in response to twingocerise

Hi,

It looks like it's a downgraded version of Logic which means they disabled some windows/views instead of rethinking about the whole experience. The view we're missing is the channel strip where you can stack effects as per logic manual / screenshots.

I think this is pretty unusable now except if you're doing very basic recording or use it as an guitar amp.

I do have to move away from garage band. Thinking about logic of course but it's too expensive. Cubase lite maybe ?

Oct 24, 2013 7:17 AM in response to twingocerise

On my Mid-2007 iMac, the new Garageband is completely broken right out of the box. It will not play any of the files I created using the old Garageband, and even in a brand new project it crashes if I basically try to do anything other than sit there and look at the screen. DO NOT delete the old Garageband from your computer. You will need it. Version 10.0 is not even stable enough to be a Beta release. This is one of the very rare times that I am completely unhappy with Apple. I abandoned Microsoft because of headaches like this. Very upset that Apple would release something that is unusable right out of the gate.

Oct 24, 2013 7:56 AM in response to ChuckInNJ

And i made the idiot mistake of deleting the old one already, 1. because "i love everything apple releases" and 2. because it told me the garageband file was corrupted and to delete and reinstall, and i accidentally deleted both of them

way to not even give this GB an updated name

you went from

Garageband '11 v6.0.5

to

Garageband v10.0.0

Doesn't '11 seem higher than 10? Even though one is a year and one is a version, but common! name it Garageband '13 v10.0.0 for god sakes half the people that are searching for answers to this failure of a product don't even know what to search for "new garageband"

DO BETTER!

Oct 24, 2013 8:40 AM in response to NishantHagjer

Garageband has been deleted the previous purchase of the full version and is currently asking to purchase the full version in order to play all the sounds. ***

That should not have happened.

I am still finding all instruments and loops I had previously in GarageBand10.0.0 (after some searching - this is playing Hide and Seek).

The loops are all available, after using the command "Reindex Loops" from the pop-up panel in the Loops Browser (that may take quite some time).

And the old garageBand Instruments and JamPack instruments appear in the Library Inspector in the "Legacy" entry .

Reindex the Loops:

User uploaded file

"Legacy Instruments":

User uploaded file

Oct 25, 2013 11:21 AM in response to izreal

And then being able to see all the layers of plugins that make that effect and edit them / add more echo / the reverb slider / add new au plugins??

Yes. Where are all the AU plug-ins

Mar 27, 2014 5:24 PM in response to twingocerise

i seriously wish i never updated cause honestly it ***** really bad. with the apple jam pack #4 the instruments sounded real and authentic but now they have no reverberation and some of them sound straight up stupid so basicly i cant do symphony orchestra anymore cause then its going to sound llike a stupid fake kids cartoon theme. i expect more out of you apple and when you make something like this, i start to lose hope. 😠

Mar 27, 2014 6:18 PM in response to twingocerise

I hate It!

I lost all my previous and work when I opend the new update! what's with that?

Found the new UI useless I feel completely lost with it

tried recording 2 mono tracks and panning them in the mixer! what mixer? almost no controls at all!

Plugins are scarce, one minuit I can find somthing the next there gone!

Ive been thinking of upgrading to Logic Pro x, but no longer.

if someone knows how to roll it back I'd like to know please!

Has anyone been able to use the new garage band ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.