Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes password being asked multiple times

Is anyone else having an issue with itunes constantly asking for your apple id password? I just upgraded to mavericks yesterday and never had a problem before. The password is correct, if I misstype it the red error message comes up on the sign in box. Because of this error I am having issues updating some of my apps, and its super annoying as well. Any ideas? (yes I tried signing in and out, and it allows me to sign in and shows all my stuff but doesnt let me do anything else).

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), apple ID

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:44 PM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2014 6:14 AM in response to Cyclinghfpilot

I'm having the exact same problem. None of the workarounds I've found made any difference. Every time I open Itunes "automated downloads" asks me for my password 3 times. Funny thing: It doesn't seem to make a difference if I enter it once, twice or three times....no lack of functionality whatsoever as far as I can judge.

I would really appreciate a solution for this...

Apr 11, 2015 9:01 PM in response to seaturtles24

Here's what seems to have fixed it for me:

Open iTunes > Preferences.

Click Store.

Uncheck all the Automatic Downloads boxes (Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps, Always check for available downloads)

Click OK.

Quit iTunes.

Restart your Mac.

Reopen iTunes > Preferences > Store and re-check the Automatic Downloads boxes that were unchecked.

Click OK.

Restart your Mac.

Worked for me; we'll see if it's temporary.

mm

Sep 19, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Mike Matthews

Mike, I tried your fix four days ago... and I haven't had to enter my Apple ID email address and password more than once since then!

I had this problem for going on two years; it began after I upgraded something but I cannot recall if it was iOS, iTunes or OS X... I searched for a solution and I finally gave up after 3-4 intermittent attempts. After I recently upgraded to iOS 8.4 and OS 10.10 with no relief I performed another Startpage search and I stumbled upon this thread. I am Very Glad I did because the very irritating bug is apparently a rapidly fading distant memory!

Apple should fix the bug... Considering the fact that we must use our Apple ID on a daily basis it seems to me that addressing this log-in problem should be a high priority for Apple.

itunes password being asked multiple times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.