Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to fix an iPod touch 4g that is stuck on a black screen and can't turn off?

My iPod is stuck on a black screen and I can't even get it off or get to my home screen. It was working just fine while i was on my twitter app but all of a sudden it just went to a black screen. At the top it's showing the battery and where it says ipod along with the internet signals next to it. I can't even turn it off. I press the power button but the slide to power off does not appear at all. I can't use my home button at all since it is broken so i can't hold that and the power button down at the same time to try to reboot it. I plugged it into the computer and it's still able to charge but still a black screen. Is there a way to fix this at all?

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:07 PM

You might have to try waiting. This just happened to me and after 5 minutes it was back on. Either that or google it.

10 replies

Oct 23, 2013 5:09 PM in response to IAmKelsey

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Feb 15, 2014 3:49 PM in response to IAmKelsey

I'm having the same issue with mine , it was perfectly fine i went to unlock it and it was stuck on the slide to power off thing then i did to get it off now its stuck on a black screen ,with my assistive touch circle . but im gonna leave it alone until it dies and hopefully when it dies fully i can charge it and itll come back on. was your ipod fully charged when this happened to yours ?

Mar 26, 2014 9:46 AM in response to IAmKelsey

***********************************wont work if home button or lock button is broken*************************************

What you can do is that follow these steps:

Connect your ipod to your PC

1. press lock key for 3 sec
  2. now press the home button simultaneously with home button for 10 sec (moderately slow 10 sec)
  3. after 10 sec leave the unlock/lock key but keep holding the home button until the ipod is not recog by itunes as in recovery mode
  4. there should be nothing on your screen this is the dfu mode
  5. now press both the lock key and home button simultaneously until you see the apple logo now your ipod is fixed

Mar 26, 2014 9:55 AM in response to akshad bawa

You are just placing the iPod in DFU mode which was previously suggested in October:

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

akshad bawa wrote:

***********************************wont work if home button or lock button is broken*************************************

What you can do is that follow these steps:

Connect your ipod to your PC

1. press lock key for 3 sec
  2. now press the home button simultaneously with home button for 10 sec (moderately slow 10 sec)
  3. after 10 sec leave the unlock/lock key but keep holding the home button until the ipod is not recog by itunes as in recovery mode
  4. there should be nothing on your screen this is the dfu mode
  5. now press both the lock key and home button simultaneously until you see the apple logo now your ipod is fixed

Is there a way to fix an iPod touch 4g that is stuck on a black screen and can't turn off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.