Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome Helper is not responding after Mavericks upgrade

Since installing Mavericks on my 2011 Macbook Air, Google Chrome has frozen twice and activity monitor says this is due to a process called google chrome helper.

Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101

The first time, I could not get my machine to respond so I had to do a hard reset. On the next occasion I waited and it started responding again.

Never had this problem on Mountain Lion and I am a chrome tab ****.

Cheers

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:52 PM

7 replies

Oct 31, 2013 4:32 PM in response to Zan5hin

Here's the last entry in the Chrome dev's forum:

This bug is fixed and the fix will reach the stable channel eventually.

This is an issue with how Activity Monitor determines responsiveness – these processes are running perfectly fine. (We changed chrome to work around that Activity Monitor issue, and the fix will reach you eventually...

That is "dated" about five hours ago (current local time here is 6:23pm, CDT). So there should be a new version of "something" available soon. The reason I say "something" is because several dev's claimed a new version of "Canary" seems to fix this problem. I'm no dev but the concensus seems to be that the 'helper' is actually work/responding fine, as far as Chrome is concerned. But there are some changes and API calls that make Activity Monitor 'think' it's "not responding." Reading that last post, however, leads me to believe that a new version of Chrome will soon be available. I have no idea what "Canary" even is but many may not be using it so the fact that it fixes this problem is irrelevent; the fix needs to be seen by all Chrome users.

Hope this helps. Here a link to that dev thread (80 posts): https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=304860&can=1&q=app%20nap&col spec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Iteration%20ReleaseBlock%20Cr%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20O S%20Modified

Feb 18, 2014 9:30 AM in response to xairbusdriver

Just an add-on: I restored the HDD on my MacBook Pro, Chrome worked beautifully. This morning I opened, added my external monitor and everything migrated south: one keyboard worked with it's screen, the external with the other for a while. Then the cursor disappeared, obviously spell check is not working in Safari, I could see hrome as an icon switching when programs but not enter.

The above post is from October in 2013, currently it is 2/18. Perhaps it's time to swap the rats on the treadmills.

Google Chrome Helper is not responding after Mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.