Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Create a Bookmark in Safari 7.0

When I click the "+" symbol, Safari adds the current webpage to the Reading List.

Previously, I was able to choose from all of my Favorite folders.

This began today after I downloaded Mavericks & Safari 7.0.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance,

~Mo

This is a link to what I want to be able to do, once again: https://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#bookmark

On a sidenote, I'd also like to disable the Reading List, if there's a way to do that, as well. -A Pet Peeve 👿

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:23 PM

10 replies

Oct 23, 2013 6:34 PM in response to 1flight

It would be wise to note that this click-hold-drag procedure for creating a bookmark requires good aim and steady hands.

Remember the good old days -- yesterday -- when you could click, choose a collection &/or folder from the drop-down list and know your bookmark would land in the desired location? Better still, you could count on that same collection/folder being offered as your preferred location for subsequent bookmarks.

Ah, yes, the good old days. ;-)

Oct 28, 2013 12:59 AM in response to ESPRESSO_ME

Yes, the good old days, when you also had a chance to edit the sloppy descriptions that some webpage designers use to define their webpages. Such as, for instance, descriptions having absolutely nothing to indicate the name of the company whose page you're trying to bookmark.

Command-D does work, but I agree with the OP: the old way was better, and I'd like to disable the reading list. I never use it. I bookmark things in an organized fashion, and the new Safari seems to do everything it can to get in the way of doing so.

Oct 28, 2013 6:16 PM in response to starfish_trooper

Urgh, yes, those page descriptions! I'd gotten to the point, where I'd just put one or more "-" or "=" symbols in front of a bookmark's description to identify How important it was to go back to later.

I'd suspect that the old way was also more helpful to people with accessibility issues. A bit less hopping between mouse/trackpad & keyboard. I'm not a big "shortcut" fan for the same reason. My keyboard spends most of it's time standing on it's side, propped against the wall. I'm All about the trackpad.

Jul 7, 2014 6:09 PM in response to Mo Jo

I just love the direction Apple keeps going. Everyday I use Mavericks, there's something "new and fresh" that doesn't work anymore and ****** me off. Snow Leopard was so much better. I just added a bunch of book marks in a freakin folder I can't find. Thanks Mavericks. Can't wait to see how Yosemite will **** me off AND make me want to puke daily with the new kiddy-cartoon-theme. Thanks for adding a "classic" option on every new OS Apple!!!

Unable to Create a Bookmark in Safari 7.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.