Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Marvericks on an older Mac Pro

I know that you can't install Mavericks on a 2007 mac pro, what I'd lke to know if there is any kind of new hardware ect that I can buy so that I'm not left out of Marvericks and all the other goodies that I won't be able to get. I'm gussing there are a lot other that are also frustrated after dropping over 2 grand on a mac pro.

thanks!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 6:13 PM

10 replies

Oct 23, 2013 6:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The only problem I have with speed is when I'm watching movies online and have a lot of tabs open, the system memory gets really low so I clear the cache and restart firefox and it's fine. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that or if that's one of the things that your recommendations would help with. I also have an additional 750 GB internal hard, would making that my primary drive help with system memory or anything else.

thanks for your help

Oct 24, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Matt Clifton

I have 5GB, just looked online and it's somewhat confusing with the different system requirements, I see yours is a 2008, mine a 2007. One site has a scanner that you download and it tells you exactly what you need but who knows if it's safe to download. I definitely will get more ram though.

At some point in the near future is your computer not going to be able to run a newer OSX or did apple just decide the cut off woul end with the pre 2008 mac pros.I just checked apples site and pre 2008's can't even get mountain lion, I'm on snow leopard, at some point I'm not going to have the system requirements for some new software programs that will be coming to market.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system): G************PZ
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F20D5E9A

add

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Oct 23, 2013 9:25 PM in response to Niel

thanks, I'll have to carefully look that over, it's says that I'll need a new graphics card, that along with the cost of added ram and I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off selling my computer, I've got a 23" cinema screen...don't have cable or watch TV so I really can't do without it for netflix ect...If it can be connect to a mac laptop I may just do that.

Oct 24, 2013 6:07 AM in response to Venicedbeached

2x2GB FBDIMM DDR2 667MHz @ $30

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFERED-PC2-5300-FB-DIMM-APPLE-Memory/dp/B002ORUUAC/

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-mac-pro-8-core-2-x-quad-core-intel-xeon-3 -0ghz-bto-2007-memory-upgrades/

Throw in an SSD Samsung 840 in 120 or 250GB really makes it snappy and run better than ever, even login with a dozen apps it is ready to use in 10-15 seconds (iPhoto is the slowest to launch with huge photo library).

Very nice running system.

Oct 24, 2013 9:05 AM in response to Venicedbeached

If replacing your Graphics card, do not buy an older card, move to the Apple-firmware 5770 as the minimum. It works in every Mac Pro model, and Drivers are in 10.6.5 and later.

For you, this may present a problem because this card is said to have trouble with copy-protected movies:

Mac Pro: Using ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with Mac Pro released before 2010

Oct 24, 2013 9:01 PM in response to The hatter

That's a great price, I want 8GB and I didn't see it with that particular brand. This one is about the same price per GB...some of the numbers in the specs are different, do you know if it would my computer?

http://www.amazon.com/APPLE-MAC-PRO-BUFFERED-NEMIX/dp/B006E2Q64C/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

The other site is showing an Apple Mac Pro 8-Core (2 x Quad Core)

mine is a MacPro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, anyway the price is higher or is these doing something more than just adding another 8GB?

Oct 24, 2013 9:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the tip about not getting an older graphics card, I replaced it about 18 monts ago and I'm pretty sure that I bought one with the same specs as the original one. I think I'll add 8 GB first and see how it goes and eventually add a graphics card.

"this card is said to have trouble with copy-protected movies" is that referering to pirated movies? I've never watched one of those but I do watch cable TV shows online, they're on the site as soon as they are on cable TV, the site says they're not doing anything illegal and i haven't found anything negative online about them. If that's considered copy protected then I wouldn't fet that model.

Marvericks on an older Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.