Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

podcast app for iPhone 5 not working after latest software install

I just downloaded the newest iOS version 7.0.3 and now the podcast app won't play any podcast on my iPhone 5. The error message says the specific podcast is 'temporarily unavailable'. This message appears for every podcast yet they play fine on my Mac. Suggestions for resolving this problem?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 6:22 PM

16 replies

Oct 24, 2013 4:50 PM in response to missdm

Same problem here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5477034

Same here, but it started when I was on 7.0.2. When I try to play any podcast synced with iTunes on my Mac, when I try to play it I an hit with "This episode is temporarily unavailable from [Podcast Name]." If I delete the podcast and re-download it on my iPhone, it does play, but is then unavailable again after another sync with my Mac.

iPhone 5S, iOS 7.0.2 & 7.0.3

Oct 27, 2013 7:56 PM in response to missdm

I had a similar issue after upgrading to 7.0.3. The Podcasts app would start with the message "updating library" and then quit. I solved it by uninstalling the app and then reinstalling. I think the problem was that I still had the older Podcasts app (with pre-iOS7 UX look). Hope this helps.

I have a feeling that the new updates aren't as smooth as they used to...

Dec 7, 2013 7:45 AM in response to costibizzle

I share your disappointment & frustration. This is not the kind of performance we expect from Apple. The only 'workaround' I've found is to download podcasts directly from my iPhone, however as others have experienced, once I sync with my Mac the podcasts are corrupted and I have to repeat the process. Appalling performance from Apple - especially since they have done nothing to correct this problem after so many months.

Dec 15, 2013 6:22 PM in response to missdm

Same issue.. I tried deselecting Sync Podcast, then syncing/resyncing. I tried removing Podcast app, and then reinstalling. Nothing has worked. I have been having issues with the app for a while now. I had been able to get some to play, but as of now nothing is playing.

"Episode Unavailable"

"This episode is temporarily unvailable from 'Podcast Name'."

Dec 16, 2013 4:04 PM in response to missdm

I took my phone to the local Apple store and after a process of ellimination they identified that iTunes was corrupted on my computer. itunes apparently had stripped the file from my iphone but iphone thought it was still there. I deleted itunes on my computer, downloaded the latest version and it fixed the problem. I can't believe how common this problem is across this forum, with no comment from Apple. It's an amazing lack of backup.

Jan 4, 2014 7:30 AM in response to missdm

I was hoping that Apple would have updated iTunes to fix this issue. I started having this same problem, but not just with podcasts. I realized it was probably iTunes when I had problems with my music and movies. My music play list would scroll through until it would find one it could play. Movies just wouldn't play even though they were there. I tried to dump iTunes in the trash, but under Maverick you can not delete it. In the old days, pre OS10, a corrupted preference file used to cause these kind of problems and re-installing the app never replaced the preference file so it never fixed the problem. With that in mind I went looking for a preference file, but could not find one. I did delete some file in the music folder that temporally fixed the problem, but I also had to rebuild all my play lists.

I would also note that no mater how I set iTunes, ie not to sync any podcasts that when I would sync my iPhone it would reset the podcasts showing that I had not played them yet. I've had sync issues ever since I upgraded to iOS 7 and was forced to use the podcast app. Although I still think the problems are with iTunes itself.

podcast app for iPhone 5 not working after latest software install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.