Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Failed: OS X could not be installed on your computer.

So my Macbook was bought last December 2012. It's specs should be able to run Mavericks.

I've downloaded the software already, so far so good.

When installation starts, it fails and I get this message:

"Install Failed: OS X could not be installed on your computer. OS X can't be installed on the disk because a recovery system can't be created. Visit www.apple.com/support/no-recovery to learn more"

Now it tells me to go to this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4649

Then I find the message above and tells me to go here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926

Then I try the solution in the 2nd link and still the installation fails.

Please note that I have a Windows 7 BootCamp Partition that I would as much as possible not delete or reformat as I have too many important stuff there.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Windows 7, Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 6:41 PM

16 replies

Oct 23, 2013 6:44 PM in response to .Impact

I saw a reference to an Apple bulletin on how to solve the problem if Lion rejects your install AND you have a BootCamp partition.

It seems the issue is that the space at the "bottom" of your available space when Lion installs it's partition is already occupied by BootCamp. The fix was to go into Disk Utility; Select your Hard Drive; Select Partition; Move the bottom of your main partition "up" a bit to create a space for Lion; close Disk Utility; Install Lion; once Lion is successfully installed, go back into Disk Partition and drag the bottom of your main partition back "down" to the bottom of the window.

Oct 23, 2013 6:47 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

I saw a reference to an Apple bulletin on how to solve the problem if Lion rejects your install AND you have a BootCamp partition.

It seems the issue is that the space at the "bottom" of your available space when Lion installs it's partition is already occupied by BootCamp. The fix was to go into Disk Utility; Select your Hard Drive; Select Partition; Move the bottom of your main partition "up" a bit to create a space for Lion; close Disk Utility; Install Lion; once Lion is successfully installed, go back into Disk Partition and drag the bottom of your main partition back "down" to the bottom of the window.

Yeah I think I found that article as well. I tried it twice already and it still doesn't work.

Also, please note I'm already running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 right now and I am trying to install Mavericks, not Lion.

Oct 23, 2013 6:48 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

My WAG is that you have a HD space limitation. I've never used Boot Camp so bear with me. Is there any way that you could back up the contents elsewhere so that you can reformat and repartition?

I have an External Hard Drive here but it's currently being used as storage space for some of my media. Is it possible to backup to a partition of an external hard drive?

Oct 23, 2013 6:53 PM in response to .Impact

.Impact wrote:

Philly_Phan wrote:

My WAG is that you have a HD space limitation. I've never used Boot Camp so bear with me. Is there any way that you could back up the contents elsewhere so that you can reformat and repartition?

I have an External Hard Drive here but it's currently being used as storage space for some of my media. Is it possible to backup to a partition of an external hard drive?

I've never done it but it should be possible. Don't forget that a "partition" acts like a real drive and it is a real drive in every sense of the word except that it shares a physical disc with another drive.

Oct 23, 2013 7:02 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

.Impact wrote:

Philly_Phan wrote:

I've never done it but it should be possible. Don't forget that a "partition" acts like a real drive and it is a real drive in every sense of the word except that it shares a physical disc with another drive.

Will try that once I get home from University later. Should I back up both OS X and Bootcamp into the hard drive or just one of them? Then reinstall Mountain Lion, then install Mavericks? Did I get that right?

Oct 23, 2013 7:07 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Works the same for all versions. It's not the OS version that matters, it's creating the space needed for the Recovery HD. But, hey, don't try it if you don't want to. No skin off my nose.

Nah, man don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the help. I just tried it again but I made a larger allocation for the Recovery HD. I allocated around 5 GB and still it doesn't work 😟

Oct 23, 2013 7:07 PM in response to .Impact

.Impact wrote:

Philly_Phan wrote:

.Impact wrote:

Philly_Phan wrote:

Will try that once I get home from University later. Should I back up both OS X and Bootcamp into the hard drive or just one of them? Then reinstall Mountain Lion, then install Mavericks? Did I get that right?

I don't see any reason why you need to reinstall Mountain Lion. It's been a long time since I've done any partitioning but, if I remember correctly, you can enlarge the main partition provided that there is no data in the secondary (Boot Camp) partition. If I'm correct, you'd need to first back up Boot Camp, then erase the original BC partition, then resize the partitions and finally load Mavericks.

Oct 23, 2013 7:09 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

I don't see any reason why you need to reinstall Mountain Lion. It's been a long time since I've done any partitioning but, if I remember correctly, you can enlarge the main partition provided that there is no data in the secondary (Boot Camp) partition. If I'm correct, you'd need to first back up Boot Camp, then erase the original BC partition, then resize the partitions and finally load Mavericks.

Aryt, so I guess all I need to do is back up just the Bootcamp then, which is perfect since I have enough space on my External HDD.

Will update when I have done this.

Oct 24, 2013 10:49 AM in response to .Impact

Same computer, same OS, same problem.

I went through absolute **** in upgrading to Mountain Lion, I cannot afford to do it again if I plan to keep my sanity.

I also reviewed both of those useless articles, tried the fixes and they failed to assist. The last time I did this (a few months ago now), it involved multiple backups, creative recovery drives, clean installs and endless Bootcamp issues afterwords.

The upgrade to Maverick worked flawlessly on my work machine but its a real disappointment for it to bomb on my troublesome Macbook Pro.

Please let us know how your progress goes, I can share the angry-log of experiences I started writing during my last process if it might help.

Nov 2, 2013 2:36 AM in response to Philly_Phan

So I finally found time to do the backup and stuff. I did the following:

1. Backed up windows

2. Deleted boot camp partition.

3. Shrunk partition by a very small amount. (1TB- 980 GB)

4. Attempted to install Mavericks.

5. Fail.

Now I'm currently backing up my Mac part and will do a clean install on it. Let's see if this works.

Install Failed: OS X could not be installed on your computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.