Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a menu bar on both of my monitors?

Hi there,

I just updated to OSX Mavericks and I now have two menu bars?!

I have a mac mini with two monitors. Please tell me there is a way to disable the second menu bar on my left monitor.

I check in the "Displays" section of the system preferences and it displays only one menu bar on the right hand monitor? I've attached a double screen shot for clerification.

Left screen below
User uploaded file

Right screen below

User uploaded file

Thank You

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 6:48 PM

9 replies

Oct 24, 2013 1:19 PM in response to dylanostetto

I'm absolutely amazed that anyone thinks the menubar on both displays is a bad thing. So many times I've had my cursor on the secondary display and needed to access the menubar which required mousing to the primary display - or using a hack to pop my mouse cursor to a set location. Now no matter where my mouse is I'm just a scroll upwards from the menubar.

I call this tremendous progress and it only took Apple 15 years...

Oct 24, 2013 5:57 PM in response to dwb

Then at least give me an option. Or for crying out loud make them the same. Not grayed out until you click on that monitor. And don't imply it until it's perfect. The dock NEVER works. If I click on the left screen and drag the mouse to the bottom, no dock for about 20 seconds. Even then, I have to actually be on the page doing a bunch of stuff.

Anyways point being i'm very nervous about apple general direction with everything. There are certain things I find on all new released stuff, iOS7 included where it's like. Really... seriously apple.

Anyways it out of my hands so no point in crying over it.

Oct 31, 2013 1:54 PM in response to C F McBlob

When I uncheck "Displays have separate spaces" I get a menubar on one of my 2 monitors but atleast the menubar can be used by apps open on either monitor ... but I have to move my cursor to the monitor displaying the menubar.

When I check "Displays have separate spaces" the menubar only resides on one monitor and can only be used by an app residing on that monitor. The menubar is ghosted and usuable for any apps residing on the second monitor.

I am using a new MacMini (amazingly quiet) with 10.9.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Why is there a menu bar on both of my monitors?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.