Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssh problem

Greetings.

ISSUE: When I ssh into my Linux box (Fedora) from my imac running OSX Mavericks (and also before i updated with Mountain Lion) and I try to run an app on the linux box (say gvim), I get the error

E233: cannot open display

The command I'm using is ssh -X username@ip.of.my.linux.box

I'm unclear whether this is an sshd problem (running on my linux pc) or an ssh or X problem on my iMac. Supposedly I shouldn't have to edit any files and it should just work by virtue of the -X, but it doesn't. This is my second day trying to track this down.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:01 PM

3 replies

Oct 25, 2013 11:11 AM in response to seaphinator

I'm a newbie at all of this but ... Two days ago I upgraded from 10.6.8 to Mavericks and started encountering a couple of similar (?) issues in the ssh. Both nedit and cp stopped recognizing files when I logged in with the -X parameter. Fortunately another newbie in the room had been told to log in from his PC using -Y instead of -X for the ssh. Using -Y has gotten me aorund the problems I've found so far. Try it?

ssh problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.