Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wiping memory on broken phone with no display

I recently dropped my iphone 4 in water. It seems to work to some extent, but the display is shot. It basically looks blank although every once in a while you can see a little something if the light hits it just right. Anyway, I received a replacement phone and now I have to send the broken one back, but I would like to remove my data and restore it to original settings before I mail it. Is there any way to do this without the display? I tried Find My iPhone in iCloud but it only finds the replacement phone. I think that when I activated the new phone, it made the old phone unable to be found.

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:29 PM

Connect your iPhone to iTunes and put the iPhone into DFU mode. Do this by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for 10 seconds. At this point the screen will turn black, and the iPhone will appear to be off. Continue holding just the Home button at this point.

Itunes will then recognise that you have a phone in recovery mode and it will display your phone info. Click restore to reset to factory settings.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 7:29 PM in response to smac7

Connect your iPhone to iTunes and put the iPhone into DFU mode. Do this by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for 10 seconds. At this point the screen will turn black, and the iPhone will appear to be off. Continue holding just the Home button at this point.

Itunes will then recognise that you have a phone in recovery mode and it will display your phone info. Click restore to reset to factory settings.

Jun 3, 2017 9:02 PM in response to smac7

Hi, I have this question too....but my iphone is getting a 2006 error on my mac and a 2009 error on Windows. If I knew that it was already wiped, then, I'm OK, but how do I know? Is there anyway to wipe it and not update it? It's not connected to iCloud anymore, so I can't do it from there either! 😕 Please help! Thanks!

Wiping memory on broken phone with no display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.