Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the iMovie 10.0 advanced tools (green screen, Picture in picture)?

in iMovie 9.0 I used the advanced tools extensively. When I updated to 10.0 I couldn't find them at all. Are they gone? or am I just missing something in the menues? by advanced tools I mean when you drag one video on top of another on the timeline it gives you the option to do picture in picture or greenscreen or other things.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMovie 10.0 problems

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:18 PM

EdwardKoz wrote:

in iMovie 9.0 I used the advanced tools extensively. When I updated to 10.0 I couldn't find them at all. Are they gone? or am I just missing something in the menues? by advanced tools I mean when you drag one video on top of another on the timeline it gives you the option to do picture in picture or greenscreen or other things.

Drag a clip into your project and place it above the existing video. Now click the Adjust Button in the upper right of the iMovie window. There you'll find picture in picture, green screen etc. There in the Video Overlay settings.

Matt

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 8:18 PM in response to EdwardKoz

EdwardKoz wrote:

Drag a clip into your project and place it above the existing video. Now click the Adjust Button in the upper right of the iMovie window. There you'll find picture in picture, green screen etc. There in the Video Overlay settings.

Matt

Oct 24, 2013 3:03 AM in response to Pipwtf

What Matt has said is correct. At first I couldn't figure it out but you drag the clip that you want to use to be the smaller picture to your video stream, but you drop it above your video stream (as seen in the red box). Now with the clip selected in the stream, click Adjust, and then you will see a new setting on the left of the colour balance setting, the video overlay settings (as seen in the orange circle).

This allows for Picture in Picture, Green/Blue Screen, Cutaways and Side by Side.

User uploaded file

Nov 5, 2013 3:59 AM in response to Stevvenwu1

I tiggered it out, drag and drop is working differently.... do not drag and drop on the videoclip to select the next action, but on top over the video clip. In any case the new interface means more mouseclicks... more time and work.

A hint if you want to remove the pip insert ... select it then cmd X, as also here the right click menu is missing. I would love Steve Jobs to be still alive to avoid Apple running backwards, we will have to live with it for the future I guess.

Feb 9, 2014 3:06 AM in response to EdwardKoz

You drag your selected clip above the part of the video that you want to have the video on. Then right-click the video (the one that you want on your movie) and click 'Adjust'. There should be a line of choices above the preview window. If there is one already there, skip the last part. Click the very first choice and under it, and change the 'cutaway' setting to picture in picture.

Hope it helps!

Feb 8, 2016 9:11 PM in response to knifeyspooney

Thank you and Matt for clarifying. I've been learning how to use iMovie and having fun with some of the effects, but it took me until now to figure out how to use PIP and the other effects that aren't triggered unless you specifically drag two clips in a very specific way to interact. It may be very intuitive for some people, but it clearly wasn't for me.

Where are the iMovie 10.0 advanced tools (green screen, Picture in picture)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.