Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud keychain suggested password not saving

When I go to change my password on a site, iCloud KeyChain suggests a strong password for example:

A123-bC4-d56

However, these suggested passwords sometimes don't save sucessfully to the iCloud KeyChain, and then once the password is changed you cannot get back into your accounts since the password is not stored successully and it is too complex to memorize.

Anyone else run into this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), ATI Radeon HD 2400

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 10:49 AM

I've also noticed that if you "change" your password on a site that you already have setup for use with KeyChain, and iCloud KeyChain suggests a strong password, the new password doesn't overwrite and doesn't create a new record for that site either.

So unless your write that password down, delete the iCloud KeyChain record, then log back into the site with your new password and have Safari remember the new password, you will have to use the Forgot Password link on the site you are using to generate a new password.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2013 10:49 AM in response to zerg445

I've also noticed that if you "change" your password on a site that you already have setup for use with KeyChain, and iCloud KeyChain suggests a strong password, the new password doesn't overwrite and doesn't create a new record for that site either.

So unless your write that password down, delete the iCloud KeyChain record, then log back into the site with your new password and have Safari remember the new password, you will have to use the Forgot Password link on the site you are using to generate a new password.

May 17, 2014 5:09 PM in response to zerg445

I had the same issue on the Plex web site( and others ). It seems to be with User Control Panels(CP's) in forums where you log in, and they'll have a "new password" field and a "current password" field right next to each other. You can get Safari to suggest a new password and then type/paste your current password in the current field.

After you change your password, there will be no record of what the generated password was, so you'll need to go through the reset process, and next time remember to save the suggested password!

I think that Keychain should keep a record of suggested passwords and what site it was associated with . The user could decide how long to keep them, say , 1 week or even a few days. This "suggested password log" would be a save a lot of people a lot of unecessary password resets due to the lack of a suggested password log!

Jun 6, 2014 7:02 AM in response to AxeBox360

This post is primarily SO APPLE CAN READ IT!

Dear Apple,

Maybe a solution to address some of the Keychain problems would be to add the ability to generate a Suggested Keychain Password on demand by the user (so it could be Copy'd ) before visiting a website to change a password. Many websites don't offer the option to enter a Suggested Keychain Password. So if you could Paste a Suggested Keychain Password in that would solve the problem until webmasters around the world got their act together.

Jun 19, 2014 2:55 PM in response to animist08

I just go straight into Keychain access if I ever need to access to the password. Command+Space, type in Keychain Access, open up KeyChain access, in the search type the name of the site or any variation of it, once located, double click it, click Show Password, enter your computer password and there's the password. Copy and paste as needed.

iCloud keychain suggested password not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.