Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.iCloudHelper.xpc wants to use the keychain...Why? Is this normal?

Just upgraded to Mavericks and I keep getting a notification asking me to enter my keychain password for com.apple.iCloudHelper.xpc. Is this legit or what?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2009 Macbook 9400m

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 8:48 AM

I'm having the same issue and there is no further explaination under the question mark. I do use clould and this continual popup is very annoying. What's the deal with this??

10 replies

Oct 28, 2013 9:25 AM in response to BA Hans

I had the same issue, I found out that the icloud account user-password was saved in a different keychain (not the login one..), so I found it and then moved it in the login keychain. I also found out that the login keychain is unlocked, always... that's probably why it does not ask permission now.. so youcan either change the settings of your keychain (not to lock automatically after a certain time), or move it to your login keychain. this worked for me. Hope it helps!

Oct 28, 2013 9:25 AM in response to BA Hans

I had the same issue, I found out that the icloud account user-password was saved in a different keychain (not the login one..), so I found it and then moved it in the login keychain. I also found out that the login keychain is unlocked, always... that's probably why it does not ask permission now.. so youcan either change the settings of your keychain (not to lock automatically after a certain time), or move it to your login keychain. this worked for me. Hope it helps!

Apr 8, 2014 5:13 PM in response to BA Hans

Just like any software or hardware LAN or WAN accessible service that needs to access information in your login account in order to provide the requested services, a key in your login keychain must be available for the service or else the service will have to ask you for a password to provide the requested service.

The problem is, most people don't realize how the keychain system works, and they simply enter their password when prompted at the time they are requesting the service. Then later, when they remove the service from their keychain or change their login password, the service prompts the user for the new password. Also, many people forget which services they orginally requested and that makes it seem like the services had been secretly entering their login account and gaining access to information.

But the keychain access allows the application to access its own keychain, or that keychain that it created in your login account when you first set up the service.

I am just now learning about this, but it seems that the keychain system (built on Kerberos protocols) is very much similar to the file and directory permissions system. The difference is that the file and directory permissions is for a single computer, while the keychain system provides security over any kind of local or global network.

I have been glossing over learning about keychain services, as I used to do for file permissions, but now I see both of these security standards are critical and important for maintaining proper function and security over any kind of computer system or network.

ABOUT KEYCHAIN SERVICES

com.apple.iCloudHelper.xpc wants to use the keychain...Why? Is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.