Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New garage band keeps crashing

I open GarageBand/Songwriter and it gives you a default drum track. After which I add another track and press play. At that point it crashes. I don't know if I should delete the new GarageBand and try a reinstall or if it's just some funky code.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Mavericks

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:56 PM

4 replies

Oct 23, 2013 11:13 PM in response to maskmackay

I can't get it to work. I can select a new project and select a new instrument but if I touch ANY thing in the track window or hit play, it crashes.

I'd hate to be the guy who reads the crash reports cuz he's got way too many from my machine.

I've yet to hear or record anything and don't think that'll happen.

I deleted the Application from the Application folder and reinstalled but no change. I wonder if it's corrupt sound, etc as it spent a LONG time at first start to download a whole bunch of stuff.

How do I do a 'clean' install or is it not recommended as I have GB 6.05 and want to at least be able to fall back to using it!

iMac 2007 / Mavericks

Oct 24, 2013 5:19 AM in response to avysk

Does it happen in Mt. Lion or Mavericks? Or both?

On new projects, or on older projects, that you try to open?

Is your iMac also a 1007 model like in the other thread avysk pointed to?

Have you any audio interfaces or audi units installed?

To check, if older, incompatible software is interfering, try, if GarageBand is working in Safe Mode, see:

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

If it works in SafeMode, uninstall any add-ons, like audio components or other plug-ins.

Oct 24, 2013 9:41 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

leonieDF wrote:

Does it happen in Mt. Lion or Mavericks? Or both?

On new projects, or on older projects, that you try to open?

Is your iMac also a 1007 model like in the other thread avysk pointed to?

Have you any audio interfaces or audi units installed?

To check, if older, incompatible software is interfering, try, if GarageBand is working in Safe Mode, see:

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

If it works in SafeMode, uninstall any add-ons, like audio components or other plug-ins.

I tried starting the system in safe mode. I launched garage band and at that point it asked me to assign audio drivers. Of course in safe mode there are no audio drivers. I launched one of my projects and pressed play and it proceeded to work without crashing. While in safe mode I clicked on the GB icon and click on open all windows. There were like half a dozen windows open. I was able to close all those at which point I rebooted into Standard mode. Now I have a new issue, the new garage band will run but now I can't get a sound out of it. I checked all the system settings and they're all fine. So at this point I really don't know what to do. What good is a recording system that you can't hear what you've done?

New garage band keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.