Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is tabbed Finder useful? I do not understand the purpose

I have used the Mac for many years, but do not understand why having tabs in the Finder is useful- can anyone explain why this is a big deal? The color tags also don't seem like it adds much, but I can at least understand the organizational logic.

Why would someone open multiple Finder windows anyway?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:30 PM

Haha. I don't understand this either!

I guess we'll see and soon we won't be able to live without those bizarre tabs in finder!

Cheers 🙂

16 replies

Dec 8, 2013 4:10 PM in response to Scott Barrows1

Fads, my friend, fads. Someone at Apple wanted to get on the "tab" bandwagon and now they're trying to put tabs everywhere. Even where it makes no sense at all and only complicates the user interface...

Same thing with tags: some people (Evernote, among others, is notable for refusing to allow more than two hierarchical levels) can't organize their documents in a hierarchical way. Using nested folders, etc.

They invented this "new" approach where you keep everything at the same hierarchical level, but add a (or several) flag to an item (file, folder) to make it a member of a "group".

Same thing with the "look" of OS X. There was the 3D epoch where the designers tended to make things stand out (icons, for example). Now, we're entering the "flat look" epoch...

Fads have a tendency to come and go. In a while, we'll go on to something else, dreamed up be the latest "designer" to work on something...

Bah...

Dec 8, 2013 4:56 PM in response to terriblewithcomputers

Well, I guess if a few people find a use for this.... good. I still do not see any purpose whatsoever and to me, it is another wasted effort. I think Apple engineers should stop focusing on such minutiae and messing with a decent operating system (and please, don't EVER try eliminate the "Save As' command again, as I have lost a lot of data and files trying to figure out a work around until this essential command was sort of re-added). I guess this "tabbed finder" is just another time killer that someone thinks is useful.

Dec 8, 2013 5:57 PM in response to Scott Barrows1

Its simply another organizational option for those who might find it useful. If you dont find it useful then you can ignore it and use the Finder as you always have, but if you see a use for it then you now have the option to take advantage of it. I enjoy using it to open a destination folder in one tab, and then navigate to a source folder in another, and then copy or move an item to the destination by dragging it to the tab, instead of having to manage this through separate Finder windows.

Dec 8, 2013 8:21 PM in response to Scott Barrows1

It's useful for some people. People purchased products like PathFinder and TotalFinder which provided tabbed folders (TotalFinder was basically a Finder "hack" to enable tabbed folders in Finder). So _some_ people find the feature useful.

I, personally, don't use tabbed folders very much. You may feel the same way - if you don't find a use for them you'll never notice they're even a feature 😉

Dec 10, 2013 7:48 AM in response to Scott Barrows1

I contacted Apple about the Magic Mouse and Trackpad loosing the ability to swipe between Finder pages. The Senior Tech that they ended up elevating me to simply told me that they took the feature of swiping ,In The Finder with multi gesture devices, out of the OS and replaced it with the Finder tabs. Yes I know that this is obserd, and surely they told me this to try to resolve my issue but that is was they told me. I had to giggle.

Hopefully this is not true and as others have stated, if you cannot find a use for it then ignore and use Finder as you always have. Although if it is true that they took out Finder feature in favor of Tabs... Well then this will be a differnet story and a big disappointment.

FYI I like tabs to keep the clutter down as I use the Finder extensively.

Dec 14, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Ravenmoon

Ravenmoon wrote:

I don't care for them either. I'd be happier if I could drag a window to the edge of the screen ahnd have it become a tab or drawer. Didn't we have that in some iteration of Classic? (The memory; she fades!)

That is why it good that we can choose to ignore them totally if we wish. They are not forced upon us. There were third party programs years back that would install 'Drawers' in the side of you screen, but I can never remember what they were called. Not that I want them. They are probably still available in some form of third party hack.

Cheers

Pete

Why is tabbed Finder useful? I do not understand the purpose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.