Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing a screen recording from quicktime player unto iMovie comes out red. How do I fix this?

User uploaded file

Quicktime Player-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 9:45 PM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2013 8:43 AM in response to RubikCubeSolver

This does not help me.

I need a new answer and I kinda need it quick.

If possible, please help me ASAP.

According to another poster, this is iMovie's way of telling you your frame rate is inadequate. You can:

1) Ignore the "red" warning, edit the file, and allow the project to be corrected during final export,

2) Correct the frame rate by re-compressing the file as mentioned above,

3) Use a faster machine or capture a smaller area so the platform can capture the video with a higher frame rate,

4) Change the frame rate reference (i.e. tell the file to play the frames faster), or

5) Use a commercial screen capture app that is more efficient/allows you to capture at a user specified data rate which is iMovie acceptable.

User uploaded file

Dec 3, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Ro5ELiTE

This work around should fix it. You need to change the frame rate.

• Open the (problem) video file with Quick Time 7
  • Export the file (file, export, options). In the options window change the frame rate to match the frame rate of the content in iMovie (For example, 24 to 30) then reimport that new movie file into iMovie.

I had the same issue. In my case, once I changed the frame rate from 24 to 30 it resolved the issue.

Good luck.

Importing a screen recording from quicktime player unto iMovie comes out red. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.