Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks install stuck - Error log 'Can not connect to /var...'

Good Evening,

I attempted to perform a fresh install of Mavericks on my Late '12 MacBook Pro from 10.8.

Using Disk Util I was required to reformat the HDD to GUID from MBR (which was due to a previous Bootcamp install)

Now when attempting to install Mavericks the loader hangs at 'About a second remaining'

The Log states:

Can not connect to /var/run/systemkeychaincheck.socket: No such file or directory

Erasing the HDD removed my Mountain Lion Recovery partition, so until a fix I'm stuck.

When booting without the Mavericks USB stick all I see is the Question Mark folder.

Please help.

Thanks,

Beau

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:51 PM

10 replies

Mar 18, 2014 5:59 PM in response to Beau Jade

My 2009 15" MacBook doesn't make it past the middle of the install, but the install message says something like-

Install complete. Your computer will restart automatically, despite the blue activity bar reading at half. It has sat for several hours like this, twice now. I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow, but would love to solve this before, if possible.

Upgrading from Snow Leopard so I can upgrade to Lightroom 5. I'm not too savvy with all the upgrade stuff, but when I have held the power button down and rebooted, it shows the Mavericks screen and nothing else that resembles my desktop. People are talking about using disc utility, but I cant seem to access anything.

I'm sure I'm missing something. hopefully someone can tell me what it might be.

Apr 7, 2015 2:02 AM in response to Beau Jade

I note the original poster's error message: "cannot connect to /var/run/systemkeychaincheck".

Most of the answers available online (including this thread) address the issue of hanging with one second remaining but don't explicitly discuss cases with the above error message in the Log. So, just to clarify; the solution of waiting for an indefinite period (for me it was about 15 mins) did indeed solve the issue. The system restarted itself and continued the installation process successfully.

Mavericks install stuck - Error log 'Can not connect to /var...'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.