Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie library lost after upgrade

Yesterday I installed the new version of IMovie. When starting up the first time iMovie needs to to upgrade your existing library. After a while the library upgrade got stuck on 1 project, but I paciently waited all night for iMovie to finish the upgrade. This morning, when there was still no progress, I forced quit iMovie. Now I have an empty library and would like to know how I can start the library upgrade process again. I store all my data on a time capsule drive, so I can get old files back from backup.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 9:54 PM

18 replies

Oct 24, 2013 1:13 AM in response to M Dirks

Hi,

I also have the same kind of promblem after upgrade. In my case, after long library upgrading time, I saw an alert message, saying that "hard disk does not have an enough space to save upgraded libraries" (It's not true. I checked my HD availability and recognized my HD has an enough space though.). I quit iMovie as requested. After that, I can see file names in the iMovie pannel, but all of them are empty.

I went to file 'update project and events' as suggested, but saw the message "iMovie could not find any profects or events to update".

What shall I do next? I have backups in my timecapsule HD and an another HD.

Oct 24, 2013 3:35 AM in response to kazapple

• iMovie Projects and iMovie Events have to be with their original content
  • if File -> update project and events doesn't help
    • quit iMovie remove "iMovie Library" and "iMovie Theater"
    • restart iMovie - import should start as after initial install and import your existing lib and projects

If there are issues during the process, check the forum as there have been quite some resolutions already for full HD etc.

Oct 24, 2013 10:46 AM in response to M Dirks

I seems to be some problems with upgrading the library in iMovie 10. I found this in the forum:

"I got apple support and Nerval's right. Just to clarify, I had to place a file called "UpdatedtoiMovie10 . . " in the trash out of the iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders, located in the Movies folder.

Once I did that, I reopened iMovie 10, clicked File/Updated Projects and Events and it worked."

This will make you able to start the upgrade process again, but in my case the upgrade process just crashed again.

Oct 24, 2013 11:36 AM in response to M Dirks

OK, here how its worked for me:

The new iMovie 10 does not delete the old iMovie 9.0.9 or the library.

I therefore opened iMovie 9.0.9 directly from the App-folder. My library went trough some kind of upgrade, and the old iMovie did function as normal.

There after i closed the iMovie (9.0.9) and deleted the files called "UpdatedtoiMovie10..." from the iMovie Events and iMovie Project folders. Than I opened iMovie 10 again, clicked File/Update Projects and Events.

The upgrade process takes serious long time, but it worked! I'm now on iMovie 10 with the library upgraded.

Nov 13, 2013 4:19 PM in response to kazapple

I have found a solution. I'm surprised that Apple let this happen without immediate posting on the Forum here.

You can use Update and Projects, but only one at a time.

A. I Quit iMovie10. Then I trashed the files that all of you have been trashing...the "UpdatedtoiMovie10" files in iMovie Events and iMovie Projects. I also trashed the iMovieLibrary and iMovieTheater files.

B. What I've done is create to subdirectories, one called Events and the other called Projects and put them on my desktop.

C. Then I moved all my iMovie 9.0.9 events (don't worry you won't lose them) into Events and all my iMovie 9.0.9 projects into Projects.

D. Then I moved ONE project and ONE event back into the iMovie Project and Event subdirectories.

E. Next, I reopened iMovie10 and selected Update Events and Projects. The project and events were brought in for that one project.

F. Then I quit iMovie 10 and repeated A through E for the next project.

What won't be accurate will be the listing of which projects you updated. But who cares. Most people won't want ot move all their projects over anyway. The actual movie projects will be in the iMovie Project timeline as separate editable projects.

I am sure Apple will have a work around, because this is a pain in the rear if you have many you want to bring over.

Nov 20, 2013 2:33 PM in response to fastprof

iMovie 10.0.1 has been released to address reliability issues when updating projects and events from previous versions of iMovie. Specifically, iMovie could appear to stop responding or quit unexpectedly during the update process.

If you encountered these issues, you should now be able to update your projects and events successfully. To do this, visit the link below and follow the instructions listed in the section "If updating is interrupted or takes an extended period of time."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6012

Dec 26, 2013 6:44 AM in response to M Dirks

I recently updated my Imac to Maverick and imovie to "imovie 11".imovie once loaded had no video clips from my previous imovie library.

I found that I now had two imovie icons in the dock , one yellow (the original imovie) and one purple icon (imovie 11). When I right clicked on the yellow icon one of the items displayed read " imovie Library" I dragged this to the purple icon and my library was imediately reinstated.Easy solution I hope works for others.

iMovie library lost after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.