Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Merge not giving multiple target fields

So ive done mail merge over and over from time to time so i know how to use it. Ive gone through and created a table in numbers (the old numbers now) with first name, last name, street, city, state and zip as headers with all the respective information needed. Then i set up the mail merge and had the place holders set up matching those colums but when i try to add a mail merge field it will only give me the option of a target field for whatever is in colum B for pages. No other options. Just gives that with a check by it and doesnt allow me to pick any other ones. Is this something was somehow broke with the release of mavrick and the new pages/numbers where mail merge was taken out? Please provide any information or thoughts to try.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:08 PM

13 replies

Oct 31, 2013 6:44 PM in response to Noahc1986

Ok, I have verified that Mavericks is the culprit. I have a home desktop that was updated to Mavericks and a school laptop that is still the latest Mountain Lion. I use Dropbox to maintain file parity between home and work. I'm using the same software on both machines – iWork '09. On the Mavericks machine the mail merge function will only allow me to choose the first column of a target table. The laptop, with Mountain Lion, offers the full drop-down menu allowing me to choose between all columns in the table. It's the same Pages file and the same Numbers file.

Oct 31, 2013 7:00 PM in response to Ola Olsson

I just spoke to an apple tech: Mavericks is the issue. If your computer came with an earlier operating system, it is possible to got back to Mountain Lion. If (as is the case with us) you recently purchased a computer that came with Mavericks, you're out of luck. The only realistic alternative, if you need mail merge, is to opt for different software. The new iWork doesn't have mail merge (or many other features) at all; 4.3 does, but mail merge is unreliable under Mavericks. Rock, hard place, leading, alas, to Microsoft Office.

Mar 23, 2014 5:56 AM in response to Noahc1986

Life saver as someone said!

Can now continue creating my son's birthday invitation cards 🙂

THANK YOU!

And Apple need to invest in testing. Too many bugs are let through - I remember when updating to OS X Leopard with an active Guest account wiped my whole HDD incl the videos from our US trip I didn't have room to backup and hadn't put on DVD yet.

Mail Merge not giving multiple target fields

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.