Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Differentiate Genuine Earphones

Hi,

I have an iPod Shuffle 2GB version, recently my earphones broke down and i was looking for new headphones online.

While searching over some popular online shopping websites, i found many apple headphones tagged as "OEM headphones for iPod" which were amazingle cheaper than those of Apple products.

Now my confusion here is -

1. "Are these products GENUINE ?"
  2. "Do these provide with same sound output quality as my original earphones used to?"
  3. Are there any other brand headphones (alternates) compatible with iPod Shuffle with same or better sound output quality?

Please help me with these OEM products terror, as i am desperately looking for new headphones.

Please provide me alternatives too.

Regards-

Shashank Saxena

(Reach me at - shashank.saxena91@gmail.com)

iPod shuffle

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:17 PM

5 replies

Oct 24, 2013 1:26 PM in response to shashank.saxena91

This document shows the four shuffle models. Three of them can be "2GB."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1719

Which one do you have? If it's not 3rd gen, any headphones with the standard mini-stereo plug should work fine. If it is 3rd gen, it needs to have compatible remote control buttons on the cord. (You can post back, if your shuffle is 3rd gen.)

I can't tell you if earbuds that look like Apple earbuds are real Apple earbuds. There are many choice for headphones, and some sound better than Apple's earbuds, some do not. And "better sound" in this case is largely based on personal preference.

FYI - You should not post your email address in the open.

Nov 23, 2013 1:22 PM in response to migbul

The current Apple "EarPods" do not work with the 3rd gen shuffle, because the control buttons on the cord do not work. As an alternative to finding and buying headphones with compatible remote control buttons, which may be difficult at this point, you can consider getting something like this

http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iEA15BLK-3rd-Party-Headphone-Compatible/dp/B002RL9WDQ

The "adapter" has the remote control buttons, so you can connect ANY standard headphones.

Differentiate Genuine Earphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.