Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Mavericks - App Store: Hide selected update

Hello,

is there are way to hide a suggested update? Right-klick / ctrl-klick -> hide does not seem to work anymore.

I have got a suggested iMovies update, which I presently do not wish to install. And the red indicator badge on the app icon is bugging me.

Any ideas? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:28 PM

8 replies

Oct 23, 2013 11:38 PM in response to iMacLawyer

1) System Preferences > App Store > Disable 'Automatically Check for New Updates'

2) Open Terminal and enter the following command to enable the Debug Menu in the App store. Triple click it, copy it, and paste it into your prompt:

defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool TRUE; killall AppStore ; exit

3) Open up the App Store, from the debug menu > Clear Cookes <> Reset Application

4) From the menu bar, Store > Sign Out

5) Close the App Store and reboot

Notes:

-To disable the debug menu, change 'TRUE' to 'FALSE' and run the command

-You have your own reasons for not wanting to update these applications, that is fine. However, it is always wise to keep applications up to date...especially when they accompanying an OSX upgrade.

Regards.

Oct 24, 2013 12:00 AM in response to nbar

Thanks for Your quick answer.

Did exactly as instructed, no unexpected results on the way. However, after the reboot the indicator was still there, although I was evidently logged out. And the terminal code changed to false did not reverse everything, but the debug menu disappeared after unchecking it in the menu and restartig the app.

Cheers

Nov 2, 2013 1:31 PM in response to nbar

I, too, am trying to hide the iMovie update, but only because it apparently doesn't work with my video card, and after attempting to update, it tells me I can't, but still sits there flagged as an update. I don't want to turn off all automatic update checks, just this one that won't work. Does your terminal command disable ALL automatic checks?

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2013 8:13 PM in response to nbar

nbar, thanks for your fix, however it didn't do it for me. The App nag is still there. BTW, I want the update nag for iMovie to go away since clicking on it returns the message that my Video board (ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB) is not good enough to handle the update. I suspect that this is true for most folks experiencing this glitch.

Nov 5, 2013 6:42 PM in response to iMacLawyer

well not a really fix and this is specifically for apple Desktops and iBooks but you can access the App Store anytime you want from the apple drop down menu along top of screen ... so if seeing the App Icon badge in your dock is annoying ... just remove the App Store from the dock... not exactly a fix but at least its not a distraction anymore.

Aug 6, 2014 1:57 AM in response to iMacLawyer

Bump!

Exactly the same issue with Software Update on OS 10.9.4: there are a few memory intensive updates for Apps I do not use (e.g. 2GB update for iMovie)... there is no option to skip or ignore these updates.

It's not just the red badge staring at you all day long, the updates are being forced on me and I can only click 'remind me tomorrow' to push it off until tomorrow.

Any help on this Apple?!

Thanks,

RC

Mac OS X Mavericks - App Store: Hide selected update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.