Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my battery drains with Mavericks!!

Since yesterday when I installed Mavericks, my battery drains really fast!! What can I do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:53 PM

90 replies

Oct 24, 2013 12:55 AM in response to julibenavides

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro i7, 2.2 GHz late 2011. I was using OS X Lion, having a battery life of 6-7 hours while surfing the web. I did 2 things:

1. Upgraded the RAM, from 4 Gb to 8 Gb (from Kingston); After that I saw a slight improvement in the performance, because I was using SWAP a little;

2. After one day, I upgraded to Mavericks.

Now my battery lasts about 4-5 hours on Safari. Indeed it was indexing all the stuff but I think this process is done. Also I find the OS a little bit sluggish compared to Lion.

Any ideas what is wrong? Can it be the new RAM? I will still wait a few days to see if the problem doesn't dissappear.

Oct 24, 2013 4:33 PM in response to julibenavides

Google Chrome is the cause of your rapid battery depletion. Uninstall it and use a browser written by a company that knows how to develop for OS X. Google does not qualify. Use Safari or Firefox. Both run well on Mavericks.

There is another process called maccleanse that may be a contributing factor. Uninstall it. Such junk is unnecessary and can only cause problems.

Oct 24, 2013 4:55 PM in response to julibenavides

Generally open Activity Monitor (search in Spotlight) and look for programs consuming much energy under the Energy tab. (You can also see such if you click the battery-indicator in the menu bar by the clock.) Quit those programs and restart them and if it does not help, then try running another program if that is an option. I had this problem that my new MBA had the battery drained in about 2 hours thanks to Numbers 3 (the new version). Restarting helped.

Oct 24, 2013 5:16 PM in response to julibenavides

Your screenshots reveal a striking difference.

I have no idea why Google can't seem to get it right, but don't just use Firefox instead, make sure you completely uninstall Chrome according to Google's instructions. Unless it is completely uninstalled, Google's multitude of processes will continue to affect your Mac's performance.

Chrome scatters many components throughout your system which very likely contributes to its inefficiency. Firefox does not do that.

my battery drains with Mavericks!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.