Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail running badly on Mavericks

After the recent update to Mavericks, my Mail app is running VERY poorly. I've tried several restarts to no avial.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 12:13 AM

10 replies

Dec 2, 2013 1:00 AM in response to BleedingStar

Apple relased an update to address gmail. I would think that any required update to Mail may be included in the next Mavericks update. But Apple will not release that until they are sure it addresses the issues they are focusing on. Whether it is OSX or machine specific, we do not know.

Until then, I have nothing more to suggest. Many seem to be having Mail issues. Lets just hope.

Cheers

Pete

Dec 14, 2013 3:16 PM in response to BleedingStar

I have my Mail app using syncing with Google IMAP. This is what I have discovered now having upgraded 3 Macs to Mavericks. Mail is setup exactly the same on all 3 Macs.

If your Apple Mail app is setup to sync with Google apps (Mail>Prefernces>Accounts), first run Software Update and install any Updates. This will insure you have the lastest Mail update. Look at Gmail, at the bottom of any Gmail page, and determine how much storage you are using on the Google servers. One of my accounts is using 18 GB and another 13 GB. On my iMac with Mail synced to the 13 GB Gmail account it took several week for everthing to sync properly. It took even longer on my iMac which syncs to the 18 GB Gmail account. My advice is to be patient and eventually Mail will settle down and sync correctly. If you want to watch what is happening in background, open on the Mail menu > Window > Activity.

Also see: Synchronize Google Apps with Mac

Mar 4, 2014 2:06 PM in response to BleedingStar

Even after recent update of 10.9.2, problems with Mail continue.

Deleted mail messages keep returning to inbox! I've done all the standard troubleshooting steps: re-start, repair permissions, Safe Boot, re-install Mavericks, ran Onyx, too. Cleared Caches, history, etc. & Checked Disk.

No matter which method I use to get rid of messages: drag to trash, or select delete from menu, the messages re-appear, after I use: erase deleted items!

My inbox now has 1427 messages.

Also, messages which I move or send to designated mailboxes, return to inbox, too!

Remember in the old days when we could dump prefs if there was an issue, why can't we do so using Mavericks?

Using an iMac intel core i3 3.2Ghz. w/12G Ram, Mac OS X 10.9.2.

Thank you for your time.

Mar 5, 2014 8:56 AM in response to blueCdreams

The OSX 10.9.2 update appears to have resolved most of my issues except that Mail read on an iOS devices is not marked as read on OSX devices. Mail read on any IOS device is marked as read on my other IOS devices and on Gmail, but not on OSX devices running 10.9.2.

I have OSX 10.9.2 installed on 3 Macs. These comment apply to all three. IOS devices (4) are all running IOS 7.0.6

Mail running badly on Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.