Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does keyboard in new iOS 7 Pages have such a slow response? I have a 3rd gen iPad. Anyone with same issue?

I've just updated my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 7.0.3 and so I updated Pages to its iOS 7 new look. I've noticed a really frustrating issue: whenever I type, the keyboard has a VERY slow response. This things ONLY happens in Pages. Keyboard works just fine on Safari, Notes and any other app. This issue only comes out in Pages. Is it a hardware limitation (having a 3rd gen iPad) or just a software bug? Anyone with the same problem?

Thanks for answering,

Matteo Vannini

iPad, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 1:13 AM

12 replies

Oct 30, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Applegirl666

Yes, that's the point! I need to use iCloud sharing too. It's pretty frustrating to renounce to a feature in order to avoid an even more frustrating issue. I personally think it is something related with the battery level and/or with the document size, as the issue sometimes disappears with full battery and/or with 'lightweight' documents. Yet it is pretty sure the iCloud sharing stuff has its weight. Who knows. Let us all hope for a quick update about all this.

Nov 20, 2013 11:22 PM in response to tryingtofigureitout1

When I start a new document, it works well, but the more shapes that I put on there, the slower it goes, so that by the end, there is a five second delay for each gesture and resultant image to change. This did not used to be the case, and Apple will have to do better. Really, this is a significant deterioration of the product. Frankly, I wish they would just leave the stuff alone. It was better before.

Nov 22, 2013 6:25 AM in response to Matteo Vannini

Congratulations, Matteo (I mean this sincerely and not snarkily!). For me, the problems with Pages continue. When you throw a couple of graphics on the page, it works smoothly, but with each additional graphic you put up, it gets slower, more sluggish, and more jittery. It is about 5 seconds, between making a gesture, like sliding a form one direction, and it actually responding. What is more, when a forward these documents to non-Apple coworkers as a pdf, most times, the email comes stripped. This necessitated taking screen shots and forwarding photos. Very cumbersome. My conclusion is that, while Pages is a nice word processing program, it cannot handle anything but basic graphics. I have since bought Noteworthy, which, though a bit more complicated at first, seems to resolve these issues. I was reluctant: I prefer to stay in-house for work apps because they have a greater chance of being supported. I hope Apple can make Pages more robust in the ways I have mentioned. About a year ago, a team from iWorks swooped down and asked me send them documents. I did, three times, essentially trying to help with R n D, and never heard back from them, nor did I see the problem resolved. So I am frustrated and disappointed with the app and with Apple's way of handling it.

Nov 22, 2013 6:51 AM in response to tryingtofigureitout1

In fact, as soon I was reading your reply, some issues came up to me. AGAIN. I've noticed some improvement with the current version, though. In a more general point of view, I guess the whole problem has something to do with iWork being turned free. It might be an oversimplified thought but, having Pages been significantly smoother and better working during the iOS 5 and iOS 6 eras, I guess Apple adopted a marketing strategy in which iWork has become an even more mainstream and, eventually, dumber software. While the reason for this might seem rather obscure, I have the mild suspect that Apple will come up with a brand new working suite pay-software. Just like the way Aperture is a more advanced software than iPhoto. This obviously sounds like conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't rub them out completely. I look forward to reading what you have to say about all of this.

Apr 12, 2016 11:06 PM in response to Matteo Vannini

I'm happy to report that the problem is not with the iPad, at least not my iPad 3, although I experience the lag between clicking the keys and the characters appearing on my iPad screen in the Pages iOS app, ver 2.6.1 on iOS 9.3.1 (and with iOS 7 and 8 and prior versions of the Pages app), like everyone else who has reported the frustrating, incredibly bad lag. No amount of memory clearing and reboots solve the problem. The solution? Don't use the Pages app. The Pages app is faulty. When I use the MS Word iOS app, ver 1.2, my keystrokes appear instantly on the iPad 3 screen, without any delay. After using Pages, using Word is like witnessing magic. All the frustrations fade away. The problem isn't the hardware or even iOS 7, 8 or 9. It's not your keyboard or the Bluetooth connection. It's the Pages app. Spread the word. Hundreds of thousands of people will thank you, and maybe Apple will fix their Pages app. I don't have a dog in the hunt between MS, Apple, or any other tech company. Other word processing apps may work just as well as MS Word on an iPad 3 with iOS 9. I'm just telling you how to solve your key lag problem without spending a dime. Word. (all puns intended)

Keywords: lag, keystroke, delay, characters, screen, iPad, keyboard, typing, iOS Pages app, MS Word, hitting keys, time, seconds, slow, crawl, trail, limp, hobble, inch, plod, hang, wait, showstopper, hold-up, make coffee, watch grass grow or paint dry or water boil, die, eternity,

Why does keyboard in new iOS 7 Pages have such a slow response? I have a 3rd gen iPad. Anyone with same issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.