Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks changed the saturation levels and contrast

I noticed that Mavericks completely changed the colors of my Late 2012 iMac.

Colors are now oversaturated and the screen has more contrast in general.

This is totally unacceptable for me, because I always use my iMac as a reference monitor for video editing or image processing.

Is there a way to bring the color profile of mountain lion back? Colors looked much more physical.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 2:23 AM

15 replies

Oct 24, 2013 3:54 AM in response to Mathek

Mathek, I had the default color profile. It looked amazing!

It also happend to my MacBook Air.

If you google it, you'll see a lot of people are having this issue. It's not easy to spot, but if you work with colors then it's more than noticeable.

It seems like Apple has hardcoded the saturation level on Mavericks to much the iOS colors by increasing saturation and overall contrast.

There are before-after images if you google it.

This is insane!

Now I have to calibrate a display that is famous for it's calibration and true tones.

I don't need colors to "pop", I need true, physical colors so that I can deliver my work correctly.

I hope they fix this with an update soon.

Oct 25, 2013 6:09 AM in response to wolfkain

stupidly i saw the maverick free download and thougth ok.

after 43 mins to install and restart couldnt believe what i saw. i\'m a photographer so scren accuracy very important and after installing maverick it was bright, washed out f**ked up totally.

why does apple not test then realise not realise and leave us mac users to sort out the mess.

now i have to start from scratch to restore my screen. if i didnt have so much mac stuff i would happily walkk away. mr jobs would not have let this happen.

bloody ridiculous.

Oct 28, 2013 1:47 AM in response to wolfkain

I noticed this within seconds on Mavericks install completing. I too work with photographs and so need a true town monitor - aside from that though the overly bright colours are giving me a headache.

I really hope Apple sort this as I don't see why I should have to set up a custom profile to achieve correct colouring.

At the very least they should give 2 'default' profiles, a 'true' and a 'pop' version!

Oct 28, 2013 8:35 AM in response to madjoew

hi everybody,

I just realize one good thing, this problem doesn't affect the whole screen, I think is more some parts of the software, like Icons and so. I just open the Lightroom 5 and pictures looks the same, (or 98% the same) not noticeable, but yes, the icons look so saturated.

So, still bad and I hope that Apple will fix it, but at least doesn't affects the whole system.

cheers.

Nov 6, 2013 4:07 PM in response to wolfkain

Sigh. I guess no-one has a work-around yet.

I just had to hand over a graphic to the developer (I'm a designer) to try and fix a subtle glow because I simply couldn't see the difference. How humiliating.

My MBP is my sole design computer. And while I know I likely should have researched more before, frankly, I trusted Apple. No more.

I have had so many issues with this "upgrade". "You get what you pay for" continually repeats in my head.

Mar 21, 2014 7:35 PM in response to wolfkain

I have been a PC user my whole life, and I just got a 2011 MacBook this week with Mavericks installed, and this was the first thing I noticed; Being a photographer as well, this was completely unacceptable for me. The way I fixed this was I went into the System Performance and selected Displays, clicked on Colors, unchecked "Show Profiles for This Display Only", and I selected Apple RGB. The difference was immensely better!

Mavericks changed the saturation levels and contrast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.