Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to Mavericks, Firmware password lost

Hello,

about a year ago I set up a firmware password for my MacBook 5.1 (Aluminium Unibody MacBook, no Pro). I forgot to store the password in 1Password, so now I'm stuck with a MacBook which has a firmware password set I can't reset.

Will the Mavericks installer ask for the firmware password? Or will it just install Mavericks like it installed every other 10.8.x update in the past months?

Bye,

Oliver

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 3:06 AM

6 replies

Oct 24, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Klaus1

Hello,

thanks. But a firmware password is something different than an account password: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4347468 .

I know that there might be a chance that Apple might disable the firmware password when I go to an Apple Store, but I'm interested in getting to know if installing the update to Mavericks requires the firmware password or not. "Dot updates" did not require the firmware password, but I don't want to create a bricked machine in case Mavericks does.

Bye,

Oliver

Update to Mavericks, Firmware password lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.