Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Mavericks Copy Function Not Working

Hi.

Upgraded to OSX Mavericks yesterday.

All seemed fine till I tried to use the Command + C keyboard shortcut for copying.

I use this for EVERYTHING and now it does not work, I can cut and I can paste but I cant copy!!

I already went into the Keyboard settings and clicked on restore to defaults but to no avail.

Please Help i'm dying here!!!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 1:11 AM

One possible solution (worked for me)

It's notable that I could copy but just couldn't paste.

Procedures

1. Open terminal and enter the following command: echo "" | pbcopy

2. Press enter

3. Close Terminal

This will blank out the pasteboard and thereafter you can resume to normal functionality.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2018 1:11 AM in response to hostosfq

One possible solution (worked for me)

It's notable that I could copy but just couldn't paste.

Procedures

1. Open terminal and enter the following command: echo "" | pbcopy

2. Press enter

3. Close Terminal

This will blank out the pasteboard and thereafter you can resume to normal functionality.

Oct 25, 2013 6:38 AM in response to hostosfq

Hey Guys.

I figured out why it was happening to me and fixed it.

Any of you have this app installed?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tilewindows-lite/id439869278?mt=12

I noticed this app recognized the command+c as a shortcut (dont know why) after the upgrade.

I went into the preferences and switched up the shortcuts, closed it and opened it again and all went back to normal.

hope this helps!!!!

May 9, 2014 9:17 AM in response to EkkyBoy

Has anyone figured this out yet? I just upgraded to a newer OS X (10.9) last night (MacBook Pro late 2009) and cannot copy and paste, even with the command key or control key. I can copy/paste fine with my mouse but there are times when I have text highlighted and right-clicking will unhighlight the text and defeat the purpose. Ideas? I use this function for work/studying all day, every day...

Jun 17, 2014 4:49 AM in response to hostosfq

I'm having this problem too. I wonder, does anyone know if there's a way to discover other apps/programs that might also use the same shortcuts as copy/paste that might be interfering? I need to do some more poking around to make sure it's the OS, my browser, or ... ??? ... but so far Chrome and Safari are both giving me the same issue. However, it's in the same site where I'm having the issue. I'm working on a newsletter online in Constant Contact -- so maybe it's a Constant Contact issue. However, I'm on deadline and don't have a lot of time to try to figure it out right now. OK - non-helpful venting going on right here -

TL;DR version

1. I went to System Pref/keyboard/shortcuts and didn't see any "warning" triangles

1a) Note: I closed all my programs and restarted computer too.

2. I can't paste at all: I have tried using the keyboard shortcut, the Safari (and Chrome) menus, and using the mouse. The paste function is completely grayed out. I can copy the text and paste it back into the same field, just not into a different field.

3. A reason I am wondering if it might be a constant contact issue is I tried typing the address into the field (I was trying to create a web link to an article) and I could not type in the field.

I am all over the place - sorry if this is unclear. If anyone has questions/insight/an article to share -- any help would be appreciated. Thx. jem.

OSX Mavericks Copy Function Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.