Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Mac Mini blank screen on wake from sleep in Mavericks

I just upgraded from Mt Lion to Mavericks and now my Mac Mini does not awake properly from sleep when I press a key on the keyboard. It stays dark but I can type in my password even when I can't see the input space and then hit the return and it then the screen functions normally. I have reset my SMC, zapped PRAM, ran Disk Utilities and DiskWarrior so I think I am covered on these. I have a Asus monitor connected by HDMI. Not sure what else to try. I see the problem surfaces occasionally for other versions of OS X and for a variety of Macs. Thanks. Doug

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 5:43 AM

94 replies

Oct 24, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Doug Stoner

Okay so here is more info as I have been experimenting with this.

Actually my second post is incorrect. It does stay blank if I put it to sleep but here are the observations:

My Asus 247 monitor upon sleep will go blank and then after a few seconds will show a window saying no HDMI input detected then be blank. The screen light changes from blue to amber at this point.

Once it is amber and I try to wake the Mac Mini, the light will change back to blue and the monitor displays a message saying HDMI input detected. Then it stays blank but I can see my cursor in the corner and it displays on the blank screen. I can move it around normally.

If at this point I turn off the monitor and turn it back on, the screen comes back to normal and I can type in my password and go from there.

In another case if the screen is blank, I can type my password in and then when I hit enter, it is functioning correctly.

I did not have this problem at all in Mt. Lion and nothing else has changed.

Any help/insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2012 Mac Mini blank screen on wake from sleep in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.