Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine in Mavericks

I installed Mavericks on my MacMini. The only way I know Time Machine is backing up to my Time Capsule is to click on the "clock" icon in the menu bar. The Time Machine icon does not appear on the desktop, and the "clock" icon in the menue bar does not spin. Other than those visual cues not being present, Time Machine backs up and restores just fine.

I am not concerned, but is this a change in Time Machine behavior, or is it just me?

Everyone have a nice day.

MacBook Air (2011); MacMini (2012)-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 7:23 AM

also have mini...a bit older. If u look closely at the icon in the menu bar, u should notice a small triangle ahead of the arrowhead when it is backing up.

9 replies

Nov 22, 2013 10:18 PM in response to Steve Holton

Steve Holton wrote:

For better or worse the animation of the TM icon is gone.

IMO the animated TIme Machine icon was more helpful; Only a glance was needed to know an active backup was in progress. This seems like a step backward for the user. Also, Mavericks Finder windows use the animated icon. This is inconsistent with the non-animated in the menu bar.

Please file feedback to Apple and let them know if you'd like the animated icon.

I feel the same way about the removal of color icons from the Finder window sidebars too.

Jan 9, 2014 8:30 AM in response to brilor

Totally agree. Why does Apple make such idiotic changes? Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking of, don't they have better things to do? The rotating symbol was great, easy to see. Likewise the colored text was much better than the colored dot on icons. Also, why did Mavericks remove the open in new window feature? New motto for Apple, "One step forward, two steps back."

I have been an Apple enthusiast since 1982 (Apple II) and still believe it is the greatest company in the world.

Time Machine in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.