Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resizing columns and making multiple selections in Pages 5.0

Using Pages 5.0 (using OS X), I am no longer able to resize columns in a table by dragging a selection handle as I could in the old Pages (2009, I think it was). Dragging now adds the adjacent column to the selection. Anyone know how to resize the columns by dragging?

Also, in the previous Pages, I could select multiple noncontiguous words by holding down the command key. Doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know how to do that?

iMac 21.5, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 8:30 AM

13 replies

Dec 24, 2013 8:43 AM in response to AutoLink

AutoLink:

I read the link. You may be right that it explained why Apple dumbed down Pages so that it doesn't function for me;

BUT it didn't do a dang thing to help me make it work.

I have tried to go back to Pages 4.3 but that made things only worse.

I am so angry ... I migrated to iMac from PC a couple of years ago and could not have been happier...now all that happiness is gone with Mavericks...so let down!!!

Dec 24, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks for the try, Gerry.

That has always worked for me in earlier versions of Pages and all various programs I had used on the PC.

It works okay on the rows but not the columns

Since Mavericks / Pages 5 it doesn't and I have run through all the combinations of shift, option, control, command and mouse that I can think of, gone through all the permutations of Inspector, toggling all options that I could imagine. Hours of work to no avail.

I cannot get the inspector to appear as the 'official help' in Apple either...

As the column widths seemed 'stuck', in frustration I toggled "Distribute columns evenly" repeatedly a number of times - it works!

Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2013 2:26 PM in response to AutoLink

Apple has removed 90+ features from Pages5:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&mforum=iworktipsn trick

Pages '09 should still be in your Applications/iWork folder:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewtopic.php?t=432&mforum=iworktips ntrick

Trash/Archive Pages 5 after exporting any Pages 5 files back to Pages '09 format.

Then rate/review Pages 5 in the App Store.

Peter

Mar 25, 2014 4:35 PM in response to Jeff Shenk

Thanks for the help! It worked out the way you said. I just made a few columns narrower first and then I could adjust the others. It's a bit fussy, but at least I'm not stuck anymore.

I sure do miss the other inspector toolbars that were available in the last version. I'm having trouble finding all kinds of options. I sure appreciate this forum, as it always helps me out.

Mar 25, 2014 8:54 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

After my original post in October, I used MS Office (Word) for a few days, and then I found out that Pages '09 was still available (thank you above posters), and have been using '09 ever since. At some point I guess we'll have to switch to Pages 5, I just don't know how to tell when it is OK. I don't want to go through the trial and error (and error and error) that I did when it first came out.

Resizing columns and making multiple selections in Pages 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.