Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No mail merge in Pages 5.0? Any one know a secret?

Mail Merge is missing from Pages 5.0! Shoot me now! I use it evey day. I tried creating a new mail merge using the previous versions of Pages & Numbers, but I think the new Mavericks operating system is messing that up. Suggestions please??? I know nothing but Mac.

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 8:35 AM

32 replies

Oct 24, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Lady43bug

I went back to iWork 09 for many many MANY reasons (read: missing features that I use on a daily basis) but this was the most important one. However, I have no problems with mail merge there ... works just like it did before. I'm on Mavericks as well.

I'm thinking of going back to Office 2011. I'm afraid Apple took the wrong road. This new iWork version is for kids, not for business users.

Oct 24, 2013 11:43 AM in response to JeanVis

My however broke :-(

In Pages I can choose the Numbers table fine but if I want to add a field there are only one field visible (the first one)

It might be that I accidently opened the files in the new Numbers and Pages and had to save it back (export) it to the previous version (09) to be able to open it again.

I'll try to take a version from my Backup and see if it goes any better

But I used my Filmaker Pro11 and did a good job in porting the database there and using this app instead for the mailmerge.

It was however soooo easy with Pages and Numbers before, so I hope they reconsider

Oct 25, 2013 7:12 AM in response to Lady43bug

AH - I think I see what you are talking about. If you are looking at the inspector all you can see is the one field - I never noticed it because I never use that inspector. However if you look at the Insert menu you'll see a Merge Field menu item and the fields all appear there. Since that's how I've always created merge documents I never saw the inspector issue.

Oct 25, 2013 7:38 AM in response to dwb

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've always used the inspector, but I tried your suggestion. It didn't seem to recognize column "A" so I moved everything over and began with column "B" and then I had major success!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help! I've been mulling this over in my mind since midnight leaving me totally frustrated. I am so excited, I hope everyone reads your post, what a big help!!! 🙂 You have made my day and I hope yours is fantastic!!!

Oct 25, 2013 9:42 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yes, the fields can be found under the Insert menu as they always were though the Merge inspector does appear to be broken. As to why they are reporting broken merges? I don't know. What I do know is that I have a Numbers database and several documents I use with it and they have worked all along with Mavericks and I tested again last night. When I saw Lady43bug's posts I noticed the Merge Inspector was broken and that led me to thinking that merging with Contacts was broken. Turns out it isn't. The fields are also available through the Insert menu.

We'll need to gather more information. Maybe trying to use the Merge Inspector does cause a document to break. Maybe people are trying to use a Numbers document that has been opened (and updated) with the newer version of Numbers. Or maybe there's some kind of glitch that is affecting some of us but not all of us. Throughout the summer I used iWork extensively and never saw a single problem - which wasn't always true with Office 2011.

Oct 25, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Lady43bug

Well, just to be clear - the original post really was talking about two issues:

1. Mail Merge has been removed as of Pages 5.0

2. Mail Merge didn't seem to be working in Pages 2011, post-Mavericks update

While #2 has been resolved (I think), #1 is still a big issue, and seemingly unnecessary removal on Apple's part.

Make sure to leave feedback for Apple about this:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

No mail merge in Pages 5.0? Any one know a secret?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.