Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XWindows/Quartz apps on second monitor

I have some Windows apps that I run using WineSkin (I believe uses XWindows/Quartz for the UI). After upgrading to Mavericks they would not show any display to the screen, but I found another thread mentioning that you had to reinstall Quartz after installing Mavericks. That fixed my first issue.

My second issue is when the apps open on my primary monitor on my MacBookPro, it's not possible to drag the open app to the second monitor. The mouse moves across to the second screen but the app window doesn't move with it - the window just moves off the screen and disappears. I can drag any other native OS X app between monitors and that works fine, but an app using XWindows/Quartz does not want to display on the second monitor.

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 8:37 AM

1 reply

Oct 24, 2013 8:41 AM in response to kjhooke

Yes Maverick install is messing with X11/XQuartz. A reinstall of Xquartz fixes that.

For the monitor situation I found this on the X11 mailing list:

A work around is to go into System Preferences->Mission Control and uncheckDisplays have separate spaces.

This will put you back into a sort of legacy mode. The new dual monitor features of Mavericks won;t work but X will behave as it did before.

According the mailing list this is a dual problem. There are some changes that need to be made to Xquartz and there are problems in Mavericks. The Xquartz team can only fix there end. Apple will need to fix their end to resolve this as well.

BTW if you are not aware of it there is an Xquartz mailing list where question like this are better asked

https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/x11-users/jeremyhu%40freedesktop.org

regards

XWindows/Quartz apps on second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.