Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not open an unzipped keynote file folder on my iPad or MAC?

Why does my keynote file get converted into a folder and get zipped when I try and e-mail it? It didn't used to be like this? It used to be just a .key file.

Then as a result this creates a problem in trying to transfer the keynote file to another iPad. The other iPad cannot pull the newly converted folder into Itunes because Itunes only allows you to upload a single file and not a folder. Plus, I can't open the file on a Mac either. It says keynote file not supported.

Any suggestions?

iPad

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 9:30 AM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2013 5:32 AM in response to dvanvan

There was an option in the Old Keynote "Save new documents as packages". If it's off, the document would be automatically zipped. As a result, you couldn't "Show Package" on it.

User uploaded file

if you selected it, it would save as a package and you could "Show Package"

User uploaded file

This second one is what the new Keynote is doing and there's no option otherwise. SO, I believe you'll have to .zip the file yourself before emailing in order for it to send successfully. However, I'll have to play around a bit more specifically with the iPad interactions.

OH, just thought about another option. Have you tried sharing via iCloud instead? It provides a link that can be pasted in an email and loaded from both Mac's and iPads (and PC's if they have a recent browser, it'll load in iWork for iCloud).

Message was edited by: Kyn Drake

Nov 8, 2013 6:34 AM in response to Jolieteddie

This is a highly annoying and frustrating. I use to distribute products presentations for their ipads to my sales forces worldwide through .key file exchange. Now my work is totally useless because of this flawed export. Indeed, you can't import a directory from itunes.

What's makes thing worse is the lack of reaction from apple for this, considering how long ago this keynote version 2 came out.

Feb 25, 2014 3:57 AM in response to dvanvan

I've sort of found a solution. If you need to distribute the file, say, via a USB stick or on a server, do the following:

1. On the iPad, export the Keynote presentation as a Keynote presentation.

2. In iTunes, save the Keynote Folder to your computer.

3. On your computer, create a new zipped file. Make sure it's called something like "presentation.key" with the final filename being called "presentation.key.zip"

4. Drag the entire Keynote folder on your computer from where you saved it into the zip file.

5. Drag that zip file back into iTunes, and open it up as a Keynote document to check it all still works

This new zip file is now your effective .key presentation, and when Keynote opens it up, it uncompresses it into its original presentation. The zip file can be shared around as normal.

Why can I not open an unzipped keynote file folder on my iPad or MAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.