Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems in Mavericks

Hi there,

If have some issues with my MacBook. I just finished installing Mavericks on it, however I did that with my iMac as well, and it works perfectly fine. The issues are:

When I connect my Sony LCD TV to my MacBook, via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI. Before Mavericks, no problems whatsoever, however, the screen on my MacBook (while connected) seems to have shrunk. It hasn't zoomed out, everything's just smaller. It didn't do that before and it doesn't do it when I connect my TV and my iMac (with Mavericks). Weird. When you change the settings from 1080p to 720p in System Preferences - Displays it seems to be the way it were, but I want the same result with 1080p, for the best picture possible.

The second issue is regarding the Trackpad option of going back to the previous page. You swipe two or three fingers and you'll go back (mostly in Safari this is used). It worked before, but now whenever I do it, it seems as if the screen moves an inch to the right and then freezes. Only that particular page, not the entire MacBook. For example a tab in Safari. I swipe two fingers, it moves and freezes. And now I have to close the tab and manually hit the 'show the previous page', which *****. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 9:34 AM

10 replies

Oct 24, 2013 11:19 PM in response to magnuskrog

Hi, I have similar problems with my Dell U2713HM monitor.

I am connecting my 2010 15" Macbook Pro via MiniDisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable.

Before the Mavericks update I could select 2560x1440 as resolution (native resolution of the monitor).

Now I can only select "Best" for the display and that drops me to 1080p.

Even worse, there are no options at all in the resolution menu.

While I appreciate the new multiple monitor enhancements and I imagine there's new code there for this, this is very annoying.

Oct 26, 2013 2:30 AM in response to Mircea Botez

It seems that the Dell that I have is doing the same but worse. In system preferences I get only three options for resolution. 1600x1200 or 1344x1008 or 1024x768. It is not recognizing the native size of 2560x1600 or even 1920x1200. I am using the SCSI input to the Dell with the HDMI output adapter to DVI that came with the Mac mini. This is from the scaled dialop box. I have tried the "Best for Display" option with the resolution at 1600x1200 and the image stretches to fill the screen. The options that Dell has does not make any adjustments to finally get to the correct proportions, so I keep it on fill screen which has worked will with Lion and Mountain Lion and even Snow Leopard. All of these had the correct resolution as an options with the SCSI input. I am going to keep experimenting around to see if I can at least get more resolutions to show up to choose from.

Nov 5, 2013 10:18 AM in response to namun cho

I've managed to fix this with a help of a colleague who has the same monitor.

All we have to do is reset the NVRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Remember to keep CMD+ALT+P+R pressed all the way till the second chime.

Also, let go imediately after the first. The first time I did it I think I held it wrong or too long and went into Internet Recovery mode.

So I had to do it again. Also, after I booted I had an even worse resolution and also couldn't select any better from the Display preferences.

After rebooting a third time Mavericks recognized the monitor so we are back baby!

Nov 24, 2013 4:47 PM in response to magnuskrog

I was having issues with Maverick. The problems I had were video related on the Macbook Pro. I just did a PRAM reset. Try it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

Resetting NVRAM in Open Firmware

If your computer is Open Firmware-based and you are unable to reset NVRAM as described above, you may alternatively reset the NVRAM and Open Firmware settings using the steps in the Solution section of Message “To continue booting, type 'mac-boot' and press return”.

In some cases, an Open Firmware-based computer may not respond to the keyboard commands noted above, and may not allow starting up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command, Option, O, and F keys during startup. If you are unable to get to an Open Firmware prompt (and your Mac supports doing so), try holding the power button held down continuously during start up.

Problems in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.