Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Pages 5 store templates

Hi

I created a new template using pages 5.

I then went to ~/Library/Application \Support/Iwork/Pages/Templates

To my surprise the newly created template was not there. All the old templates from the previous version of Pages where there but no the new one. Apparently Pages 5 stores templates elsewhere but I have been unable to find out where. Does anyone know?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 10:07 AM

I think i found the answer.

In ~/Library/Containers/ you will find a file called com.apple.Iwork.Pages

It's a container. If your right click and choose view package you will find a folder structure. Follow that structure to Data->Library/Application Support/User Templates and "voilá" there are your templates.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2013 10:07 AM in response to consiglieri_swe

I think i found the answer.

It's a container. If your right click and choose view package you will find a folder structure. Follow that structure to Data->Library/Application Support/User Templates and "voilá" there are your templates.

Oct 26, 2013 10:36 AM in response to consiglieri_swe

Hi consiglieri_swe,

Thank you! I have been looking for my templates in Numbers 3.0 (iWork'13).

Your answer showed my where Apple has hidden them this time!

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 29, 2013 8:50 PM in response to consiglieri_swe

The default templates are stored in the app package itself. Right click on the app, and then:

Contents->Shared Support->Templates & Template Previews

It's pretty messy in there because of the multi language support, but I am going to try insert my template there by duplicating the folder structure in both Templates and Template previews (if you open your custom template package there are similar bits to be found).

..Ray

Oct 29, 2013 9:36 PM in response to consiglieri_swe

Well I tried it, duplicating the folder structure and moving the data from the template package in, but no dice, it did not appear in the template chooser. Evidently, just having it there in the directory structure is not enough, and I cannot find any editable reference to the list of default templates that defines what appears in the template chooser.

This is really annoying, because I want my users to have easy access to two templates that we use, and Apple no longer lets us do this via the finder. Trying to open an externally saved template only gives you the option to add it to the template chooser. I want my templates to be right up there on the top line with the "Basic" ones, easily visible when you first open the app, but I don't see a way to do this. Oh well.

Oct 30, 2013 12:06 AM in response to Dr Kilovolt

Hi

If you go to ~/Library/Containers/ and then open the package com.apple.Iwork.Pages and go to Data->Library/Application Support/User Templates you can add your templates and then they will be avilable under "My Templates" when you want to open a new document. Alas I have not found a way to add folder in the structure but at least your default templates are (relatively) easy to access. By the way I would not recommend making changes to the actual software package because any updates risk having you changes erased.

Oct 14, 2014 6:55 AM in response to Yellowbox

I don't want to delete or rename a custom template - I want to make changes to the content. I cannot find the saved templates on my computer anywhere! I think Apple is making things way too difficult without proper documentation for users! First of all when I try to follow the answers other people have posted it doesn't work because their instructions say to follow a course of action that doesn't exist! There are no Templates in >Library/Application Support/ AND there is no folder called Containers in ~/Library/Containers/ where it says you will find a file called com.apple.Iwork.Pages. Doesn't exist!!!!!!! I am so frustrated and spitting mad!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.9.4)

Oct 14, 2014 6:57 AM in response to consiglieri_swe

I don't want to delete or rename a custom template - I want to make changes to the content. I cannot find the saved templates on my computer anywhere! I think Apple is making things way too difficult without proper documentation for users! First of all when I try to follow the answers other people have posted it doesn't work because their instructions say to follow a course of action that doesn't exist! There are no Templates in >Library/Application Support/ AND there is no folder called Containers in ~/Library/Containers/ where it says you will find a file called com.apple.Iwork.Pages. Doesn't exist!!!!!!! I am so frustrated and spitting mad!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.9.4)

Oct 14, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Hansfords

Hi Hansfords,

There is no need to go searching through containers or libraries.

• From Template Chooser > My Templates, open the custom template that you want to change.
  • In the new document that opens from that template, make any changes that you want.
  • Menu > File > Save As Template...
  • Save with the **same name** as the old template to replace the old template. Pages will tell you that the template already exists. Click on 'Replace'.

Done.

Tested in Pages '09 (4.3)

No promise that this works in Pages 5.

Regards,

Ian.

Where does Pages 5 store templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.