Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks Author 2.1 not embedding fonts

I have a template that I have created in iBooks Author 2 which was viewing on an ipad just fine. I have now used the template (after updating to iBooks Author 2.1) and created a German version, replacing all the text. Now when I export to my iPad the font is dropped. This is a non standard font, however this is an OpenType font which worked perfectly well on the previous version of iBooks Author.

Can anyone confirm this is a big in the new version of iBooks Author. There do appear to be other users posting similar issues, although it is unclear at this stage whether it is related to iBA 2.1.

Regards

John

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 9:41 AM

49 replies

Oct 25, 2013 1:48 AM in response to dn1161

dn1161: I'm still on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 so cannot yet view iBooks on my Mac, so obviously not purely related to Mavericks. This does appear to be an iBA 2.1 issue, as confirmed by others on this thread.

Thanks to all for your confirmations. As suggested by K T, I have reported this issue to Apple via the 'Provide iBooks Author Feedback' menu item. I would suggest everyone who has this problem do the same and *hopefully* someone at Apple will listen and provide a fix soon.

Oct 25, 2013 5:58 AM in response to dn1161

dn1161 wrote:

Hi have the same problem, but my fonts are only dropped when previewing my book on my ipad.

Preview to iPad not showing embedded fonts has been reported various times before. It is not reliable. If you export your file to .ibooks format and send it to your iPad and fonts are not embedded, that is a problem with iBA 2.1, Mavericks is irrelevant, it happens with 10.7 as well.

Oct 25, 2013 10:17 AM in response to john3cdp

Mac with Mountain Lion:

You need to remove iBA 2.1 from your Mac and replace it with 2.0. This is no problem if you have backup such as Time Machine. Just find the iBA 2.0 app, copy it to your desktop and then put it in your app folder.

But iBA 2.1 might also have corrupted all your iBA files! If so, you need to find the latest backup copies before you installed iBA 2.1.

I did this and now the fonts are embedded correctly. The book looks normal on iPad again.

Q: Does anyone know if iBA 2.0 runs om Mavericks? If it doesn't you are stuck until Apple fixes this bug.

iBooks Author 2.1 not embedding fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.